Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook on the Hasty Bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice cook -- that burger looks right tasty. I like how you tailored the amount of charcoal to the job you wanted to do.

The Hasty Bake can be a bit intimidating with all the bits and bobs to tweak and adjust, but you'll figure it out!

Comment

Great first cook. Are you for Ole Miss or State? My son graduated from Ole Miss and my granddaughter is going there now, but we've got many relatives that some went to State and others Ole Miss. Some even when to Southern. Hotty Toddy, Hail State.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a Stater -- only because of the cannonball!

• bordercollie
          bordercollie commented
          Editing a comment
          Well.... I guess I'm a Stater because my nephew and nephew in law likes it . I went to Louisiana College a million years ago when I lived there, and my nieces and nephew went to Mississippi College years ago. They like to bbq and are all excited about using the HB when they get home for a visit. That crank is fascinating. !

• bordercollie
          bordercollie commented
          Editing a comment
          As soon as we get caught up on all of our work, I want to view, and review the threads on fire management and smoke a butt, and when I get real good at it, a rib roast. I think that I'll do a steak next. We always do that when we have our big bull sale to celebrate. We get the whole fillet at Fresh Market or Sam's. I trim it and use s and p. Can't wait to have a steak with the ...... real Flavor... and hear that awesome sizzle..

Congrats on your HB and on the cook. You've got a lifetime of yummy cooks ahead of you, sweetened by the fact that you won the HB in a drawing. Yay!

Kathryn

Comment

That looks good enough to eat. I would pair that with PBR.
          Happy Grilling to you and BBQ too

Comment

Sweet Grill and a good cook! Many more to you!

Comment

This is great. I hope you have a great and long relationship.

Comment

Awesome cook! Every time I see someone post a Hasty Bake cook, I smile back on my days as a kid in the 60's when my father cooked on one. You can create some awesome family memories with that thing, starting with its cool story of how it came to be yours.

Comment

bordercollie if I remember right, my second cook on my HB was a couple steaks. After a couple weeks of figuring it out (and this was long before the Pit or much in the way of good online forums with good Hasty-Bake content), I cooked a pork butt. Came out really good and I started feeling like I had some sort of idea of how to use the thing. Totally agree with your overall plan ... mostly cause it matches what I did ;-)

Comment

First cook sure looks great! Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) your opinion as you learn about this cooker.

Comment

Tonight I used the Hasty Bake to grill a beef choice tenderloin. It was delicious Just added s and p and rested in frig for about 6 hrs before grilling . At around 4 Lbs trimmed, It took about 2 hours to reach 130 d @225. I used the sear function and KF basic along with a few lumps and a piece of oak to get that nice charred look in the beginning , and then moved it over to the indirect side . Then I went to hoe the tomatoes and didn't have to worry about flare ups at all. I let it rest about 10 minutes covered and then yum ! All thanks to the HB via Amazing Ribs !!
                      edit to say that the trimmed tenderloin cost $89 for slightly more than 4 Lbs at Sams.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by bordercollie; June 6, 2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                        Panhead John commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That looks perfect! Great job.

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Beautiful!

• Greygoose
                        Greygoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes indeed !!!

Congratulations!

if I ever win the monthly giveaway, it’s the Hasty Bake for me!

Comment

• bordercollie
                        bordercollie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank ya'll. I haven't regretted my choice one bit. I brined half a pork loin in a ham cure , for 5 days, then peppered it along with a brushing of Hoover Sauce. Seared and then indirect smoked until it reached 150 degrees ( wrapped in peach paper at around 130 . It tasted just like the fancy smoked ham from the store deli. Slice it thin and it's so tender and juicy.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here