Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brought this home from the Hasty Bake scratch and dent sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice score! I was sorely tempted

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      woof!

Ya just had to bring it home, sorta like findin a stray puppy, nice puppy, good puppy, you behave now, yer in safe, good hands.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      or kitty

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      woof!

congrats! glad to see you're happy with the purchase. if you plan on doing low and slow, you'll want to get a bunch of cooks in prior to darken / grease up the inside.

Comment

• 70monte
      70monte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I did a 4:15 hour cook on it the other day and it went pretty good. I'm sure it will get even better in time.

I did another cook on it last night. A couple of pork tenderloins. No pictures because I had a lot going on but they turned out pretty good. The temp did shoot up on me at first but I was able to bring it down by shutting down the vents. I really like these slider vents compared to the flap vents on the other models. I wish HB would incorporate them into all of their grills.

I will say it doesn't take much lit coals to get it up to temp and it's very fuel efficient. I hardly used any lump during this cook.

Comment

It's always good to hear about purchases that go so right. Congratulations on your new cooker. You must have gotten a good deal on it too. Good for you!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 12, 2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I got a pretty good deal considering what they cost new.

Man, there's nothing like a new cooker to start the creative juices. Congratulations!

Comment

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. A new cooker is always fun for me. I just need to learn to let go of some of the old ones. LOL.

Nice! Congrats on the new rig! That is awesome!

Comment

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank You. I've been wanting one of these since they came out.

Hey question for you (or anyone else who has a HB). Can you do a reverse sear across the entire grilling surface? I’ve been wondering if this was possible on the HB by first lowering the charcoal grates and using the diffusion plates across the entire grilling surface, and then removing the plates and raising the charcoal grates to sear.

I’ve been thinking (more like ‘dreaming’ at this point) of replacing my kettle with a more ‘premium’ grill and am currently deciding between the Weber Komodo and a HB. Ability of the HB to reverse sear across the entire surface would be a huge plus, allowing to cook a whole load of steaks, chops, etc at once.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        By the way, I've had as many as 40 chicken thighs on the HB Gourmet, and they all fit within one half of the grate, so I used one side for indirect and the other for direct/sear.

• Grillin Dad
        Grillin Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, good to know. Yeah, I figured that most of the time, I’d have half indirect and the other half as direct. But I’ve got a large family and my in-laws live in town, so I’m trying to plan for ‘largest case scenario.’

While I’ve got you, have you had much issue keeping the temp down for smoking (say around 210-240)? I’ve heard a lot of comments about the HB’s leaking around the lid and access door, causing the temps to go higher than desired.

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        In order to keep a HB down around 210-240, you are going to have to seal the side door and not use very much lit coals. The side door is where most of the unwanted air comes in and as the grill heats up, most of the time the upper left corner of the side door warps out slightly which lets in even more air.

Grillin Dad check out the Hasty-Bake light my fire thread. Tons of discussion of how to set up HB firebox, seal the door, etc. I typically run my Gourmet at 250F. I got better control by sealing the fire door. Never bothered to seal the lid, I just treat that as my chimney, so to speak. And use the air vents to create good air flow.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here