Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Typical 5 Hour Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Typical 5 Hour Fire

If you want to see how I typically set up to cook for 5 hours on the Gourmet ... here you go.

9x13 foil pan at far left of fire box. I fill that with a quart of hot water
    120 Kingsford pro briquettes and 2 chunks of apple wood (cause I’m cooking ribs) .... sometimes that is a small split of red oak.
    25 Kingsford pro briquettes lit in a chimney, then dumped in the open space at the far right of the fire box.
    Put the heat deflector on. Set the fire box low down, only maybe 1/2” clearance underneath for airflow.
    Back left vent and door vent wide open until I hit about 240 and then close down to about 1/4-1/3 open.

This will run at 250F +/- 20 degrees for 5 hours. Perfect for ribs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	94CD7835-EB40-4E83-A392-0BF0963440B5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.48 MB ID:	1016408

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_141798.jpg Views:	31 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	1016417

Click image for larger version  Name:	85978CA3-3747-4228-A27A-279ABDFD882E.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	1016418
    Last edited by ecowper; April 11, 2021, 05:33 PM.

What cooker are you using?

I just put a slab of ribs on the KBQ. I have an oval cast iron roasting pan filled with your drunken beans recipe under the ribs to catch the drippings.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Yall knows full well that beans is always worth Extry Bonus Points, leastwise, in My Eyes...:O

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Is they some way(s) to make beans, un-drunken???

Frankly, I'm baffled, if so...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 12, 2021, 08:00 PM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I never make something you might call undrunken beans, so I can’t help with that question. BUT I do have a method called "Drunken Beans" that’s sorta special.

But, but, but where are the Wibs? They are missing! Call the authorities! First it’s RonB ‘s memory, now it’s yer Wibs. This has been a very tough weekend so far.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      They are about to come off the Hasty-Bake and sit in the oven for 30 minutes :-)

ecowper is 5 hrs your typical time for a rib cook on the HB? Why the oven for 30? How many racks do you fit in there?
    Last edited by JCBBQ; April 11, 2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      JCBBQ

I find that SLC spare ribs are done in 5 hours on the HB ... this fire will actually run 6.5 when you count time to get up to temp and time it’s still burning after the ribs are done.

I can lay 5-6 racks flat across the grate. Or I can do 3 racks plus their rib tips. Tonight, just my wife and I, I’m doing 1 rack plus rib tips.

I like to hold ribs in the oven for about 30 minutes @ 170F. I have found that I have a better outcome. For what that’s worth.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Thanks bro!

Your pit looks used, and that is a good thing.
    Happy Grill, happy life, and PBR too.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been cooking on this Hasty-Bake Gourmet at least once a week (and more like 3X week) for 11 years now :-)

First off, this is gold thank you. Im not sure what you mean by the "empty space at the far right of the fire box." I dont see an empty space and I desperately want to try this.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      70monte I’ve done both ways and not been overly happy starting on the left

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I build the fire in my HB the same way Ecowper does next to the fire door. It works fine. If you think about it, very little if any of the air flow in a HB will go sideways -- it's going to flow pretty much upwards due to convective heating. IMO, the most important thing is to seal the fire door perimeter to get more control over the air flow.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper IowaGirl Appreciate th input, an learnin; Savin it away, back in a wrinkle in th (remainin) Grey Matter, fer th (Hopefully Attainable) Day when I can, mebbe emulate becomin one th Kewl Kids, by buyin meself a Hasty Bake lol!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 12, 2021, 03:24 PM.

Out of curiosity, i assume you tried lighting it from below without using the chimney as a starter. any reason you prefer this method? thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here