Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using two or more wire racks in a Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using two or more wire racks in a Cook

I have been using an 18.5" WSM for some time now. I do mostly ribs and pork butts and it works great. On issue for me is capacity, sometimes I would like to do more that two racks of ribs at a time. Since there is a second wire rack I assume that it should be possible but how does that work. Wouldn't the ribs or other meat on the top rack drip fat on the meat on the bottom rack and screw it up? I can;t picture how that would work in a WSM or any smoker for that matter.

I have the wsm 22 and have used both racks at the same time for ribs and pork loin only a handful of times. The dripping of meat has never been an issue. The top rack typically cooks hotter then the lower rack so be aware of that, your ribs won’t wall be done at the same time . Its kind of a pain if you need to tend to the meat on the lower section.
    When I’ve used both racks in the past I will put the meat that takes less time on the top then when it’s done rotate the bottom meat to the top to finish.

Comment

Thanks. That rib hanger looks like a good idea. I may get one for next season. My WSM is set up well I have been thinking about going to a cabinet smoker like the Backwoods Chubby 3400 or the G2.

Comment

One other question. The fat dripping from the top rack doesn't mess up the bark or the meat on the second rack?

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Think of it as basting.... I believe others who do the double rack switch them some time during the cook. I do not have a wsm.

I have an 18" wsm, and when I use the bottom rack, I swap the meat about halfway through the cook. I have also cut the slabs in half and put them on rib racks - that makes it easier so you don't have to fool with the lower rack at all.

Comment

I use upper racks to expand capacity on my kettle and my offset, and don't find dripping on the lower meat to be an issue, as much as the fact that higher stuff is hotter and finishes faster. I solve that by rotating the meat top to bottom about halfway through the cook.

Comment

The lower rack is my number 1 issue with the WSM. It could be a complete PITA depending on what was cooking.

One option to consider are rib racks. Standing them up can significantly increase the capacity.
          Another option is to cut the racks. Sure, it might not look as cool when serving them compared to whole racks...but NOBODY is going to care thirteen seconds after they’ve been removed anyway.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here