Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM + DigiQ at 350-375 Degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM + DigiQ at 350-375 Degrees?

I love my PBC. It produces wonderful chicken.

But I'm a temperature control freak and the PBC temps range a little more than I like.

But I sure do love the flavor produced by chicken fat dripping directly on hot coals. Even with no smoke wood (or especially with no smoke wood), the resultant flavor is uniquely amazing.

But I want to:

1. Cook over direct coals steadily at 325 degrees grate temp until the breast temp reaches about 150 degrees.

2. Quickly ramp up the grate temp to 350-375 degrees to crisp up the skin, until the breast temp reaches about 167 degrees.

I have an 18" and 22" WSM, and a couple DigiQ temp controllers. Can the DigiQ drive the WSM 18/22 to 325 degrees? 350-375 degrees? I'd be cooking over direct coals (no water pan).

Thanks

I can't help with your questions, but why do you want to take the chix up to 167°? The log7 lethality is instant at 158°. There is nothing but clear juice running out at that temp, and it's very moist and tender. Besides, cookin' at 350 will have some carryover rise that will take it even higher.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points, good questions...

If you explain the 'why' and end goal, that will help all of us, because as it is you're making amazing birds now.

Comment

I've done birds in my 22" WSM without any temp controller. I have the sausage hanging attachment, so I tied the birds up and hung them thighs down over the coals. I removed the grates and water pan. If you light the fire with a full chimney of charcoal, you can easily get it up to 325-350 for the short time it takes to cook chicken. BTW they came out awesome. I'd honestly not worry so much about ramping up temps/changing temps etc, just cook the bird all the way at 350ish and it'll be good

Comment

For ramping up your temp quickly using a DigiQ, I'd say no. I have a DigiQ and they are great for maintaining temp, but not at ramping up a temp quickly. If you want to grill your chicken in this manner, I would just dump a chimney full of briquettes into the fire ring when you're ready to crisp the skin and go from there.

just my 2 cents......

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          I can't help with your questions, but why do you want to take the chix up to 167°? The log7 lethality is instant at 158°. There is nothing but clear juice running out at that temp, and it's very moist and tender. Besides, cookin' at 350 will have some carryover rise that will take it even higher.
          I know the recommended done temp for chicken breast is about 160 degrees, anticipating a carry over of about 5 degrees, thereby guaranteeing a safe finish temp of 165. Or thereabouts.

I've applied the same (recommended) reasoning to pork tenderloins, taking them off the pit at 140 degrees, then loosely tenting in foil for a while, hoping for a carry over to 145 degrees. This resulted in meat that was underdone (or at least too rare for my taste).

When cooking halved chickens in my PBC, I experimented with different breast finish temps. I finally settled on 165-167. The entire bird is still juicy and flavorful, and I like this minimum doneness level.

I tried rare finishes for pork tenderloin, and 160 temps for chicken breast. And I found that I don't like them at those finish temps. They seem underdone, even after carry over temps have settled.

Comment

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
            If you explain the 'why' and end goal, that will help all of us, because as it is you're making amazing birds now.
            The "why" is because I'm tired of my PBC's temperature swings. My WSM is much easier to control in terms of grate temp.

My "end goal" is to create the same drip-over-direct-coals flavor of the PBC, in the WSM. And to be able to sear at high heat at the end of the cook.

I know the WSM + DigiQ will hold steady temps for ages and ages. I was just wondering if a quick ramp-up of temps (from 325 to 350+ for searing at the end) was possible with the DigiQ. And according to other replies I've received, quick ramp-ups are not a strong suit of the DigiQ.

But answer me this: is the WSM 18" + DigiQ capable of running steadily at 325 degrees? What about 350 degrees?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
              For ramping up your temp quickly using a DigiQ, I'd say no. I have a DigiQ and they are great for maintaining temp, but not at ramping up a temp quickly. If you want to grill your chicken in this manner, I would just dump a chimney full of briquettes into the fire ring when you're ready to crisp the skin and go from there.

just my 2 cents......
              That was what I was guessing. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pobeque View Post
                I've done birds in my 22" WSM without any temp controller. I have the sausage hanging attachment, so I tied the birds up and hung them thighs down over the coals. I removed the grates and water pan. If you light the fire with a full chimney of charcoal, you can easily get it up to 325-350 for the short time it takes to cook chicken. BTW they came out awesome. I'd honestly not worry so much about ramping up temps/changing temps etc, just cook the bird all the way at 350ish and it'll be good
                I've cooked chicken wings all the way at 350 degrees in my PBC, and they turned out great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here