Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Cook

I'm at my folks place for a bit. The Old Man's new favorite way to smoke is to drink coffee while I fire up the smoker, get everything ready and put the meat on.

But I like doing it, and I'm getting this WSM 22 broke in.

Today - breakfast sausage, turkey breast and a first attempt at pastrami.

Keeping the smoker about 230-240 range.

Royal Oak briquettes and mesquite chunks Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_084303.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	910429

Looking good so far.

Comment

I like your Old Man's way of thinking, you can visit here anytime.
      Like what I'm seeing on the grill

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Be careful with the invites..... I'll show up

Sausage is done.
      Turkey is as 150
      Pastrami at 110

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_102820.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	910473

Comment

Just think what you could load up on a 26 WSM.

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have to have more mouths to feed!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard just imagine if there were a WSM 26!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper and with an ever increasing internal cu.ft to surface area ratio......mucho heat retention without much thickness

Turkeys done - POG and Rudy's rub on the outside Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_110516.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	910525

Comment

BFlynn that turkey looks delicious!

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            We're about to cut into it for lunch.

Pastrami is off. Bark wasnt set at 150. Took it to 165.
          In the fridge now. Will be steamed tonight for supper. Still wish the bark was a little darker....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_113455.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	910538

Comment

All looks good to me !!!!

Comment

I like your fuel combo - I use that flavor profile often. Everything looks grate! (see what I did there?)

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                I used that bc that's what's already here. But it's worked out pretty well.

Pastrami is pretty good. Love the flavor. Super tender.
              Bark is a little light and a little soft. But will definitely do again.

Not bad for a first time. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_181502.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	910754

Comment

Nice job mate, that looks juicy & tender.
                I've had a few cracks at Pastrami with varying results. I was convinced by some posts here to simplify the process and don't bother with the steaming part. 24hrs dry brine a quality corned beef with the rub of choice, then on the smoker and cook it to 203/probe tender, no wrap.
                Pics below show my last effort, the meat was like Hi-Vis orange when it came out of the fridge. Came out of the smoker with the bark all dark & firm. Everyone was making the right noises and nodding with cheeks full, sitting around the table.

Just my two cents worth if you are chasing a firmer bark

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4335.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	910962Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4338.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	910963

Comment

Yup...forget the steaming step and smoke it all the way. Treat like anything else and wrap if you’re happy with the bark, or just go unwrapped.

Comment

Appreciate that insight! May do that next time. I'm also thinking that I'll get a darker bark back home on the PBC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here