Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM grommet mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM grommet mod

I bought an older WSM (and a hinge PLUS another mid section) from a fellow Pitmaster member a while back. It doesn't have the silicon grommet that the newer models have to I found an easy mod on TVWB forum. Let me preface my comments by saying I have very little mechanical aptitude. My bro got all of it in my family, as my sister got the athletic ability. That being said, I had no issues doing the mod.
    I bought threaded pipe nipples at Lowe's in the lighting section as well as lock nuts. Total cost was less than $7 I think. I was also looking for caps but had no luck (more on that later). I did a pilot hole first and then a few bigger drill bits to enlarge the hole a bit. I then got my step bit out and enlarged the hole to 3/8". I used oil while drilling but I don't think it was needed, unlike when I drilled the Cajun SS door. The pipe nipple wouldn't quite fit so I used a 3/8" bit and rotated it around the hol
    e to enlarge slightly. I slid the 1" pipe nipple through and it was pretty snug. I attached the lock nuts and tightened then easily. Took all of 10 minutes from start to finish. I did the other section of my stacked WSM and was done. I glance at my Weber 22" kettle and realized I needed to do that unit as well. I use the Maverick and PartyQ when I cook and all three probes fit through the 3/8" fitting with no problem. I did have to take the alligator clip off of the PartyQ probe to get it through but put it right back on. I use to feed the cable through the bottom vents on my kettle but now it will be much easier and cleaner.
    I looked for caps for the pipe nipples and found some 3/8" caps on Amazon and bought four of them. They arrived and I realized they were 3/4", not 3/8" even though it says 3/8" right on top of the cap. Unless I am not correct what 3/8" is supposed to be, it is a wrong product. It came from China so I plan on leaving a review (there are none as yet) and see what happens.
    Last edited by FLBuckeye; June 10, 2015, 02:33 PM.

i can't see any of the images...is it just me?

Comment

• gaord
      gaord commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't see them either

Having issue attaching the pics. I will edit and try again

Comment

Pics attempt #3
      Attached Files

Comment

You have to click on the images. I am getting ready to put two whole birds on

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here