Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She said ‘Yes’!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She said ‘Yes’!!

She said ‘YES’!

There’s likely no other place on the internet then here where there’s a good chance most readers will understand what that means! Yes, after many years of watching me doing my best trying all the tricks to transform my beloved Weber Genesis into a ‘potable’ smoker, my wife said (unsolicited may I add): ‘honey, go get yourself a smoker’.

Of course, she’s been watching me lurk at all the options and possibilities over the last few years, and actually now totally understands when I quote Meathead or Harry Soo. But it was still a shock! It’s probably the ‘Father’s Day is approaching’ bubble.

All of that being said, it boils down to a very limited choice. I want charcoal and wood. In my part of Quebec, the OKJ Bronco and the PBS are as good as ‘aliens’.

I have a very limited budget to make it happen (in our poor Canadian $). So here it is: Weber WSM 14.5 or the Canadian owned Napoleon Apollo 200. No other choices. Of course, my Weber owner brain goes to the mighty little 14.5 warrior. But in my part of the world, I can get the Apollo 200 for 50$ less. It’s 16 in. and with a few ‘lessons learned’ from the WSM. But no ‘history’ and videos and reviews are rare. Meathead says ‘beware’. The Apollo sub-channel here is empty. At this precise time, my mind is made up and it will be the Weber.

Should I doubt it?

Disclaimer: English is my second language, apologies for typos and errors.
    Last edited by BigBry; June 18, 2020, 07:17 PM.

Congrats on the upcoming smoker!

Comment

Awesome! You are engaged! Can’t wait to see the pics of the ceremony and the kids!

Comment

Kiss and hug your wife. The rest you will figure out. 👍

Comment

Look on Kijiji, usually plenty of used Weber charcoal BBQ's on there for varying prices.
          Weber products never seems to go on sale at any stores up here in the sticks.
          Canadian Tire does put Napoleon products up for sale every few weeks, keep an eye on they're flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
            Look on Kijiji, usually plenty of used Weber charcoal BBQ's on there for varying prices.
            Weber products never seems to go on sale at any stores up here in the sticks.
            Canadian Tire does put Napoleon products up for sale every few weeks, keep an eye on they're flyer.
            Here around Ottawa, they knocked down the price of the WSM a bit recently. But COVID related shipping impacts seem to have really limited stocks.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Kijiji has a listing in Gatineau, Napoleon Apollo for $250-300....I gotta start writing things down....pretty close to you ain't it
              Same deal for Napoleon Opollo in Barrie, kinda of a drive for you, but includes 4 or 5 bags of charcoal and 4 or 5 bags of smoking chips.
              Almost tempted myself but my wife said yes once....she vowed never to say yes to me never again....

Congrats on the new smoker. I'd be inclined to save the $50 and go with the Apollo but I'm known for being cheap. Do you have the option of checking these out at a store or is this an online purchase? If you can get a close up look to compare build quality you might change your mind.

Comment

For years I cooked on a 14” bullet smoker without and vents to adjust and had great success. So, I’ sure you’ll be happy with the Weber.

Comment

Congrats! Gotta love that wife of yers!

I've heared many things bout th Napolean cookers, but never laid eyes, or hands on one, down here...

My rule of thumb would be: Given th same quality, price range,an mfr. backup, I'd always go fer th bigger of my choices...

I have 2 18.5" WSM's (was 3), an ain't never run into an instance where ever I thought I'd want a smaller one...

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking along those same lines. Within reason, bigger is better. I can put 2 racks of ribs on smoker that will hold 8, but I can't make it work the other way around.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                willxfmr ever seen a Weber Smokey Joe? (I have 5 )
                A 14.5" WSM is jus a double decker WSJ, with a longer cook time, an better indirect cookin options...
                Not a whole lotta cookin area to work with...
                Might work for ya, no doubt, but wanted to give ya some perspective, to consider.
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2020, 09:47 PM.

• tenphases
                tenphases commented
                Editing a comment
                I never cooked on a napolean bullet but ive use their kettle and it was a quality product.

14.5” is too small - I would go for the Napoleon. It’s basically a clone of the WSM, so cooking advice here for the WSM should translate.

Still - 16” is a pretty small grate to fit much. You will have to cut or roll ribs, and cut brisket down. But it’s better than 14”. Personally I would splurge for the Apollo 300.
              Last edited by jfmorris; June 18, 2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Consider building your own UDS. That’s where I started my barbecue journey and it’s a great way to learn. You can turn out high quality barbecue on one. Get a 55 gallon drum and you can get a kit online to make it easy. Check out BigPoppaSmokers. I found a plan on YouTube and did mine from scratch with parts from the hardware store. Here was the finished product.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kudos on th nice build, an paint scheme!
                  Way to go, amigo!

I agree with the above if you can afford an 18" smoker you will be better off. If not get the Napolean 16" You will still have to cut ribs and brisket down but that may not me a bad thing.

Comment

Having an alien cooker is the best, though.

OJB!

I agree with the folks saying that getting the larger cooker is a better idea.

Comment

Congrats! Don't delay, she could change her mind! These things happen, trust me.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here