Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Smokey Mountain 18 or 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Smokey Mountain 18 or 22

Greetings Gang,

So I have finally convinced myself to go with a WSM, with some of the upgrades. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Can I get comments on which size to get?

I would like to do a full brisket, will the 18 typically handle one? Considering the typical variety of sizes briskets are available to purchase.

I do not "plan" on doing a lot of pieces at once. Either brisket, or beef ribs, or turkey one at a time.. I think a 18 will do it, but wanted to get input from you guys that have done it.

Thank you very much!
    Bill

I've done briskys up to 14#, pre trim...I have 2 18.5"s, did have three...one got reassigned, to help out a brother...

Also, I've never looked back, in hindsight, an wished that I'd gotten a smaller cooker...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 15, 2020, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• hillbilly
      hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr.B!
      So you are saying that you would rather have a 14" WSM?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, no desire fer a 14" WSM hillbilly

As Mr. Bones said "I've never looked back , in hindsight an wished that i'd gotten a smaller cooker." I also would go for the 22. It can handle a larger turkey. My Weber 22 Kettle lets me do an 18lb turkey. I have had briskets that are close to or over 18", the same with pork ribs.

So don't short yourself and get the larger WSM....

Comment

• hillbilly
      hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input!
      You wish you got a smaller cooker, what do you mean? But you are selling me on the 22.
      You and Mr Bones are wishing for smaller cookers. What gives there fellas?

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope you have misread me. You will never be sorry with the larger kettle. Get the 18"

I have a 22" WSM and I love it. I don't have to worry about what size brisket or turkey to get. I recommend the 22. Just my 2 cents before taxes.

Comment

• hillbilly
      hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks cccq!

• Rfhd69
      Rfhd69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. The extra space in the 22” is well worth it.

I have done an 18# brisket on my 18.5. You kind of have to make it bow up in the middle but as it cooks and shrinks it will settle on the rack.

I agree with bigger is better to a point. Bigger is also more fuel and more weight to lug around if you are moving it.

Whatever size you choose the WSM is a very good cooker.

Comment

• hillbilly
      hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.
      Won't be moving it,, much. The more fuel for smaller items cooking was a concern, if even warranted.

Go big hillbilly. If you get the smaller one, you will ALWAYS look over your shoulder and think on why you didn't get the bigger one. You may never need it , but if you get into this, it's addicting , and there may be a point where you want to max out a cook, and you'll be glad you had the extra size. My 2 cents bro --- they both will produce a quality cook.

Comment

I have an 18 and am happy, but there is so much more I could do with the 22. Yes, I've cooked a full packer brisket on my 18, but the sides always get a little too burnt for my taste, because they're so close to the edge. Yes, there are ways around this by putting a piece of wood under the middle of the brisket, but the brisket will still be close to the edges. Plus, if you're ever looking to buy some add-ons, I believe you'll find many more options for the 22 in. Could be that more people have the 22, so more add-ons are available for it. Either way, you're going to love it!

Comment

Thanks To Everyone!

Comment

Here is my go at a brisket crown, came out really good. The kettle leaks like crazy, I think best way to improve the cook is upgrade the cooker.
          Attached Files

Comment

Not WSM, but kamado. I have a LBGE, which is 18”. Although it is fine for a lot of things, it is small for briskets and racks of full spares. I would have liked a XLBGE.

Comment

Get the 22", you will not regret it.

Comment

A 22" will also handle 3 racks if ribs blasphemy style.

​I'm just saying......

Comment

Did a 15 lb packer on the 18 yesterday. Worked out great. I don’t like burning through fuel unnecessarily. 18 works great for me. Also have a jumbo joe with a 10” extension to do smaller smokes to be efficient. That’s just me. Either way U’ll love the easy of use once u dial it in.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Another vote for the 18" for the footprint, price, and fuel economy. BTW, you can use a little Cajun ingenuity and stretch the inside of your 18" WSM to fit a full size brisket.

Comment

• Razor
                      Razor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s a lot of work! I just put a chunk of wood underneath to arch it up some. Works every time.

• Beefchop
                      Beefchop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Razor I thought it was a cool idea! Honestly, it doesn't look like to much work to me, but I confess... I do the same as you, except I use a cheap rib rack instead of a chunk of wood because it allows air to circulate under the bottom of the brisket.

• Razor
                      Razor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beefchop That’s a great idea. I’m going to try. Only problem is I have a Weber rack, nothing they make is cheap. 🤣

I have a 22 and love it. If you go with it you will always have the space you need.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here