Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oklahoma Joe Highland or Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Joe Highland or Longhorn

Have a good friend that is sold on getting an Oklahoma Joe (I'm a Weber man myself - have both the Weber Performer and the bigger WSM). After looking at the videos detailing the Highland & Longhorn smokers on their website , there was no mention of water. Do Oklahoma Joe people not use them, or just stick a pan ion the rack and go from there? And while I'm at it , you think Oklahoma Joe products compete as well as any of the other manufacturers out there (like say, Weber) ??

Don't usually need a water pan with an offset smoker. An OKJ is a good first smoker if that is your budget limit.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 14, 2020, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I’m not a whole lot of help as my Oklahoma Joe is an old school one made of 1/4” steel. That said, I still add a water pan and have great results!

Comment

Have a Highland here, always use a water pan located at th firebox end of my cook chamber...

Comment

Got it --- thx. One follow up question; mountainsmoker, you say most offset units don't need water ......why would that be ??

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Usually there is enough moisture in the wood to not need one, most air dry wood has 15-20% moisture.. If your using lump or charcoal then you will need one.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m gonna have to disagree. Yes, there is 15-20% water, but that evaporates even before the hot air enters the food chamber.

Use a water pan, it IS needed. Always good in an offset smoker, especially when cooking with real wood. As for the Oklahoma Joe's, they have a very competitive price. I haven't seen them IRL, so can't tell. I would like to have a longer smoke stack. And only use the vent on the smoke stack when not smoking, i.e. to keep rain and bugs/animals out. When smoking, leave it fully open.

EDIT: just watched the video on their website. 2.5 mm steel isn't much. If your friend buys it, then have him line the sides of the firebox with some fireproof bricks so he gets some thermal mass in there. I would say this is an entry level smoker. But then again, with a little pit mastery it should be able to produce some good food.
          Last edited by Henrik; June 16, 2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            "line the sides of the firebox with some fireproof pricks" - is this a typo or a reference to a technique in Sweden unfamiliar to us here in the states? LOL

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik You got some explaining to do mister! 🤣

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol! I blame auto-corrupt. Dang it, am I gonna be thrown out of the pit now, for foul language? :-)
            Last edited by Henrik; June 16, 2020, 09:50 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here