Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dino ribs fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino ribs fail

For Memorial Day I smoked some BB in my PBC, and beef plates on my 18" WSM.. Even though I have many years with various pits, this was only the 2nd time doing beef ribs, My first attempt was successful, so I anticipated similar results.
    Ribs came from Costco, 2 4-bone plates in one cryovac bag, thickness varying from 1" to 1.5". They were prepped, rubbed and cut into 2-bone slabs. Put on WSM dialed in to 225 via my Guru with a meat probe in the thickest part of one pair. Following MH recipe, they should have been done in 5-6 hours. At the 4 hour mark, meat probe read 194! Then seemed to stall, so I probed all slabs with MK4, and no part of the ribs measured over 180.

Side note: Been reading much pertaining to time, temp, and tenderness, so decided to trust the probe tenderness instead of time and/or temp.

At 5.5 hrs I probed all plates, they looked fantastic, with meat probe reading 203. They all probed like butter BUT temps were all 185-190 range. Because of the tenderness, I pulled them, placed in my Cambro, then finished the BB and all the other sides.

The juiciness of the beef when sliced into singles blue me away! For reasons I won't go into here, I wasn't able to sit down to eat for about 30 mins. The ribs were so tough, I could hardly chew them, and there was some rarer areas I didn't see when slicing.

Conclusion: Stick to temp to determine beef rib readiness, don't always trust probes (threw meat probe away!) Don't try something new for an important cook.

Thoughts and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

I cook short ribs and plate short ribs a lot. I never run a meat probe during the cook, just use my thermapen to probe when I think they are going to be done. I cook them on my WSM 22. And I’ve never had this kind of outcome. I typically find that 1.5” plate ribs need 7-8 hours, though.

Comment

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you ecowper. Will do that next time.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here