Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Logistics In the WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Logistics In the WSM

I was hoping someone could help shed some light on the placement of different meats in the WSM (I have an 18" model) to have an idea of when they might be ready (compared to each other). Assuming social distancing is eased and we can host parties... So, all things equal, if theoretically identical pork butts were placed on the top rack and bottom rack, which one would be done sooner? Or, when should they be switched to finish up at the same time? To up the difficulty level: how about a Boston butt and a brisket? Let's assume we have good temperature control at 225-250 as measured on the top rack. I realize the weights of the brisket/butts are significantly different, but I bet many of you have some good rules of thumb for serving multiple meats at about the same time for a mess of hungry friends and family

Not to poo-poo the hypothetical scenario but I have to think you can fit two butts on one rack in the 18. I may be wrong. To answer the first question, top would be done sooner due to the simple fact heat rises. Butt (see that) assuming they are identical and you even have the slightest inkling of how long a single butt on the top one would take, switch them half way through and you’re good.
    I’ll leave the second scenario to people that are far better than I am.

Comment

Understand that two fit on top - depends on the size of your butts (see). I've seen some people say that because the bottom is closer to the heat source, even with heat rising, there might not be much difference bottom to top. Has more to do with finishing-up a brisket and butt close to the same time.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        True. I guess I assumed the water pan was in there to deflect the heat. This is why I usually defer to the pros!

• 30acrewoods
        30acrewoods commented
        Editing a comment
        Uh-oh. We might have opened another can-o-worms: to use the water pan, or not! I guess it's just a good excuse to cook a bunch of meat and learn how the cooker responds to different setups.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        30acrewoods It’s the perfect excuse!

Use the water pan and probes. Lower will have less heat. Start with thicker piece on top rack. Rotate when the first one hits the stall. Every 20 degree diff after that rotate to keep close together Don’t let meat get too close to edges of rack since heat rises up the sides. About 20-25 degree diff in temp top and bottom. I usually only rotated twice. They were going into cambro anyway so an hour diff in finish time was no a big deal.
      Last edited by jlazar; April 29, 2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• 30acrewoods
        30acrewoods commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, perfect. Rotate when stall hits, and one time after. Yes, I also do the wrap in the cooler - which can accommodate a lot of flex - except for hungry people!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here