Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yet... another Cajun Bandit door question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet... another Cajun Bandit door question

So, I just purchased the billows for the Smoke X4 from Thermoworks. I have not had any real problems with getting the temp dialed in. But, I know this door is a massive leak and likely costing me fuel. Now that I am likely putting the Billows on that 22wsm. I think it is time to upgrade the door. Is it a smart purchase? Thank you in advance.

I went back and forth on getting the upgraded door for my 22 wsm, finally got 1 and i really like it. Have only used it a few times so not to sure if it actually saves on fuel, but it sure seems like it does when you can't see smoke rolling out from ever edge anymore! They do function better with easy solid latching, i really like the latch. If i ever got a 2nd wsm i would definitely upgrade the door if that helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191207_200739.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	816527

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, that does help.

The door is harder to bend than the aluminum one so i dont think it helped my temps that much and its harder to adjust but it looks cool so i bought two lol

Comment

I contemplated buying the door but never used it for actually adding fuel. I didn't like how leaky the OEM door was so just applied aluminum foil tape around the seams of the door. Has worked perfectly for many years so far.

Comment

Richard Chrz have you ever thought of trying some gasket material on the door you already have? I know people sell gasket kits for the WSM that include material for the door:

Our aftermarket gasket works great to lock in heat & moisture for the best cooking results! Buy a door & body kit for a complete seal and total temperature control. Made with genuine DuPont(tm) Nomex® fibers.

Of course, the Cajun bandit door is only $62.99, but the gasket material might work even better.

Comment

I use the stock door. Sure a little smoke leaks, not enough for me to worry about as far as I’m concerned. Most of it "leaks" from the open vent at the top anyway. Next time I fire mine up I’ll try to get my Flir camera on it and see if I can catch how much heat is actually escaping.

Comment

$60 buys a lot of charcoal when Home Depot puts it on sale during the memorial day weekend Are you really burning that much fuel that it makes it cost effective? I have a smaller WSM and I just bent the door to make it fit better.

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly!

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I am not sure, last year I burned almost 80 bags, just learning, I foresee 80-120 bags this year.

I have the 18" WSM. Put on a cajun bandit. I have some metalworking tools, so was able to get a perfect fit. No doubt, I burn less fuel...even after messing with the flimsy OEM door for hours. Zero smoke leaks on mine. But I know others still report issues, and I know it is a bunch of cash. Aluminum heating duct tape is a great alternative...especially if you know when you need to open-up to add more charcoal and water anyway by pulling things apart vs. opening the door (which can be challenging to place charcoal properly and pour water). Probably way cheaper than the gasket kits - and even the best gaskets will wear out, I work with that stuff in my job. Since it was mentioned: I just spent $60 on 120-lb of KBB (original) charcoal at our local HD. Not sure how that compares to other locations in the country.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here