Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM Fireboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM Fireboard?

My old Maverick thermometer is wearing out, so it is getting time to upgrade. I have been looking at the FireBoard, and it seems like people like it. The real debate is whether to add the Drive connector and a fan for ATC. The idea of being able to sleep through the night sounds good, but when you add it all to the shopping cart I get a bit of sticker shock. Anybody out there using the Fireworks unit on a WSM with or with out the fan? Would you recommend it? Does a temperature controller make that much of a difference on the WSM?

I use the wsm with the fan connected to my fireboard. It helps a lot.....aaaaa lllooot. Once ya fine tune it, the only thing ya might have to do is add water after about 8 hours. But by then, most of the meat is cooked and ready.
    I pack the meat in (4 butts, 2 briskets and a tray of beans). But I cheat. I have an extension ring and also mod a couple more grates in. Usually takes 9 to 10 hours to cook and I don’t crutch.
    with the atc and fireboard, it gives me the time to rest if needed to prep other things like the sides

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuuuuuuup!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I ditched my water pan, but you're right, it's literally set and forget for hours until you have to chuck some fuel into her with the Fireboard and fan.

• Jared49
      Jared49 commented
      Editing a comment
      WSM-18” W/FireBoard & fan. It works fantastic.

I have never used the FireBoard system on a WSM, but I use one on my Eggs and it is great. I get really solid and even temps on cooks that last a few hours to cooks that last 24 hours+. Now you probably won't get that long of cooks on your WSM because they are really not designed for that but it will work just fine for the time you need.

The FireBoard set up is pretty fool proof, and you can monitor and change the cook temp from anywhere, including your bed.

For me, it is more than worth it. For instance, I have a pork butt cook going right now at my house, and I am not even home. I am cooking for another event at another location. The pork butts are for tomorrow, but I set it up early today, and I am cooking remotely. I can monitor, change temps and even set up programs to make the BGE hold the meat at a low temp if case it gets done early, before I am home. When I get home tonight, all I have to do to is package the meat and reheat tomorrow. What a stress reliever and it lets you be at two places at once.

You really don't need the "Extreme BBQ" package, IMHO. Just start with the base model and Drive system. If you need to add some probes, do it at a later date. I have 6 probes for each of my FireBaords and I rarely use all six at a time. That is only for huge cooks, which are few and far between.

Below is a snap shot of a cook I did the other day. You can see how evenly the FireBoard kept the cook. That top blue line is the "set temp" and the yellow line, just behind it, is the actual pit temp. There are a few spikes and valleys but those are minor fluctuations of about 10 F-20 F and they are from when I opened the lid to the BGE. The system also has "lid detection", It senses when you open the lid. This is helpful so you are not having the fan blowing full speed when the lid is open. In the past, this was a problem because the internal temp of the cooker would drop when the lid was open, then the fan systems of the past would think that you are losing temp and the fan would blow on the fire to kick the false temp back up.This would cause massive overruns when you closed the lid once again. "Lid detection" prevents this. The green lines are the fan kicking on and off. Mind you I did this cook overnight at -11 F ambient temps (Minnesota winter, gotta love it) and it still preformed beautifully. The orange lines are the meat temps throughout the cook.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1-16-20 at 9.13 AM.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	795568

Let us know if you have any other questions.

BTW, Welcome to The Pitmaster Club. Please take a second to introduce yourself. We love hearing from new members. .

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a great post by Spinaker . But as to the probes, I have "evolved" my process to the point that I now use a minimum of 3 probes per cook: 1 for the grate temp, 1 for the ambient outdoor air temp, and at least 1 for the meat. While I don't think I have maxed out yet, I could easily see it happening, especially after I get my rack system installed and start using a second rack.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Gee Spin a simple "yes" would have done the trick

So any comments on the ever rising bushel cost of soybeans ???

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya. I really only do the same for each cook. I have put three in two cookers, like this week end. That makes it rally handy. @Dewesq55

Hahahaha, I had sat down and jsut started typing. Then I got carried away. LOL. So, yes, you can use the FireBoard with the WSM. Troutman

I don't use a fan but welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the XP had a "fan" jet engine

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch! and so do most jet engines in use today. Got me. Troutman

Welcome to The Pit.

If you don't want to spend that much $$ at once, get the Fireboard and add a fan later. You will really like the fan once you get it figured out.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, this is the best way to go, actually. Learn your cooker first, it also makes it easier to run it with the fan when you have a good base.

I don’t have a fire board yet, but I do have a party q fan from bbq guru that I use with my wsm. It works great. I am pretty sure you can use bbq guru’s pit viper fan with the fire board.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      You definitely can use the Pit Viper fan with the FireBoard

Thank you for all of the feedback, looks like a Fireboard will be in my future. Looking forward to having it make life easier, and I am a data analyst/statistician, so am loving the idea of having all that data about my cooks.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like you know how to run your WSM manually with out issues. An upgrade like this is nice. You'll be happy with the FIreBoard, I am anyway. Let us know what you think when you get it set up.

I use the Thermoworks/Billows combination on my WSM and love it. Not here to sell you on Thermoworks, but a fan controller definitely helps you sleep through the night.

Comment

I have the fireboard + pit viper. It's great for over-night cooks. I found I had to shut the top damper to 50% when using a full load of coals in warmer weather. The fireboard is a great thermometer hub as standalone too. I don't really need the fan for ribs or tri-tips.

Comment

Originally posted by CBM87 View Post
        I have the fireboard + pit viper. It's great for over-night cooks. I found I had to shut the top damper to 50% when using a full load of coals in warmer weather. The fireboard is a great thermometer hub as standalone too. I don't really need the fan for ribs or tri-tips.
        Great advise!

Thanks for jumping in. First hand experience with a particular cooker is key!

Comment

I have a WSM and Fireboard connected with a fan. Love how it is working!

Comment

Trying to figure out the best way to mount an ATC fan to the WSM. I’ve seen the SS dog bowl trick, tape over vent holes and running fan through the open hole. I’m curious about those who own/use WSM and ATC’s. What do you recommend? Pics would be nice. 🙂

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here