Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM Mods

Ok, I'm an official member of the Mod Squad. Just can't leave well enough alone.

I have a WSM 22.5.

Added:
    • Cajun Bandit Door - Very Nice, High Quality
    • SouthCo Latch - Compression latch for door. High Futz factor to install it, you need a Unibit to drill out the original hole in the door since the Cajun Bandit door was made for the clunky weber latch - which is smaller than the SouthCo. Once you dial it in, it's great.
    • Hinge for the Lid - Life saver when you are checking meat, taking it off or putting it on by yourself. No more dropping stuff. Requires you to drill holes in your WSM, but worth it.
    • Nomex Gaskets for the Door - Nice seal, no more smoke billowing out the door when it's closed

Really perked it up. Holds lower temps much nicer now. And kind of looks cool. Fun project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0689.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	78160

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0688.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	78162
    Attached Files

Did you have to buy a different cover to fit over the hinge on the lid. I have a 18.5" WSM and was thinking about doing the same mods on mine.
    Last edited by airforcekixbutt; April 16, 2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• scorched_porch
      scorched_porch commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. Fits over the hinge and the latch as well. Worth doing.

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done all of these mods on a 18.5. Works great with no issues. Highly recommend.

Very nice mods. I modded out a COS (Cheap Offset Smoker), and now it feels outrageously crazy to have a pit of any kind, and not mod it out in some way.

Comment

Here is my mod. It is in another thread somewhere. Another mid section, hinge, and 2 CB doors with latches Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310290.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	78253

Comment

• scorched_porch
        scorched_porch commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. 4 racks. What are the temps like on the second floor?

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Temps are good. Heat rises so no issues

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Forgot to add I also bought a PartyQ from BBG Guru.

Cool mods all around. I think this is what makes the WSM such an attractive option!

scorched_porch How do the door mods effect temperature? Does your unit run hotter or require different adjustments to the bottom or top vents now that you've deprived the smoker of significant airflow from the midsection?

Comment

It cruises at lower temps now that I can use the vents the way they were made to be used. I use a stoker mostly and it doesn't seem to have to work as hard since the temps are more stable. I can get it to target with open vents and once I shut them off and hand it over to the stoker, it stays put. With the old rickety aluminum door I'd pass the target pretty quickly on lower temp smokes and have to fiddle to get it down. Now temps are stable.

I prefer to get the air flowing from below the fuel source rather than the midsection to put the heat and smoke a little closer to where I want it.

Comment

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, so it might be worth it just so I can get my temps down and see if that gives me different results.

I've noticed that mine likes to hover right at 250 - 260 deg. F., but that's with very small cracks in the bottom vents and with the top vent half closed. It obviously runs hotter if I don't use a water pan or if I open the vents up (which is nice for cooking turkeys and chickens). Even without any mods it holds temps really well considering how much air it lets in through the door! May bet better smoke flavor by adopting your mods. Thanks again!

I guess the downside is that if you ever need to use it as a grill in a pinch (IE remove the midsection) you can't do it anymore.

Comment

Oh yeah, I also just purchased the temp probe port "eyes" from BBQ Guru. I'll install a couple this week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here