Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two spatchcocked turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two spatchcocked turkeys

Say someone was about to obtain a 22" WSM, and the timing of this was going to mean that they were giving up their usual turkey cooking setup near Thanksgiving. Hypothetically, of course. Has anyone here tried a ~ 12 lb. spatchcocked turkey on each grate at the same time? Not sure how this would affect the airflow, etc. I'm guessing this isn't a problem at all, but asking for a friend.

Never done turkey on the kettle but I do know that things cook very fast on the high rack.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a 22" WSM we're talking about., btw.

I have an 18, and while I haven't done 2 turkeys, I have cooked on both grates. There is a pretty large temperature difference - I think around 50 degrees (I haven't done it in awhile). Last time I did baby backs, and I swapped positions halfway through the cook.

Comment

My thinking is along the lines of klflowers - I use a Hovergrate in my kettle sometimes when smoking, and due to the vertical temperature gradient between that and the main grate, which is less than on the WSM, I rotate the ribs or wings top to bottom half way through the cook. I would do that with the turkeys. Heck I will be smoking two turkeys on my offset for Thanksgiving, and I will rotate them end to end during the cook, spinning them, 180 for good measure, just to even things out, due to horizontal temperature gradients on the offset.

Comment

I don't have WSM, but I think it would be fine, just swap them part way through the cook.

Comment

Another vote for swapping them half way through.

Comment

I did two 12 lbs spatchcock turkeys last year and again this year on a Smoke Vault. I rotated them halfway as suggested (based on temp not time, about 110F) and they came out great. This is different than a WSM so I’m not sure if this helps any. Get a hand swapping them. They’ll be hot and heavy to handle solo especially if you have thermometer cables strung all over the place and in the birds.
            Last edited by snowswamp; November 19, 2019, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I've been thinking through all the challenges that will be involved with this. I even woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night thinking about it, which is not a good thing. lol There's no going back, though, as I have sold the Plan A and Plan B cookers that I had this time last year.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve R., that is proof that cookers should never be sold.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers , maybe I can serve as a warning to others.

I would call that setup "self basting"

Comment

As everyone has already cautioned, it's got to be a swap meet. I've never tried turkeys in mine but have done different meats and spatchcocked chickens. I'm really not into swapping out grates so I rarely cook on the bottom grate in my WSMs any longer. I have better options and only use those smokers top grate only and recently to hang food (like a PBC).

Never-the-less it can be done. Just keep an eye on things and make sure you have temp probes in both birds. Happy Turkey day cooking Steveo !!

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! While I have agreed to sell my Weber Ranch (which is what I planned to use for the turkeys), I don't yet have cash in hand. I'm going to tap the brakes on this deal until the weekend after Thanksgiving, so I can pull this off without the stress of learning a new cooker. If that ends up being a deal breaker, I'll just be stuck with an excellent grill/smoker awhile longer.

So, I came to my senses this afternoon and realized I couldn't bear to part with "The Spaceship" as Mrs. R. calls the Ranch kettle. Two turkeys will fit side by side nicely on that beast.

I did send my stick burner to a good home (a good friend and neighbor), and that will be replaced by a Weber 26" kettle. I will then have all the bases covered, and gain quite a bit of space in my garage.

This all came.about last weekend when a planned rib cook on the stick burner ended up with a Plan B cook on the Performer. The wife and I had been out of town for a football game the day before, and I had the ribs all trimmed and season up, ready to go when we got back the next day. Well, I was feeling not so great (may or may not have been a little hungover), and wasn't looking forward to tending a fire all afternoon, so the Performer it is. Lo and behold, they ended up being the best ribs I have ever made.

I still love the Performer, but am actively looking to rehome it in order to get down to two cookers that can do everything I need them to do.

Comment

• out of bounds
                out of bounds commented
                Editing a comment
                I did two 16lb turkeys on my ranch this past weekend and plan to to the same for thanksgiving. Worked great.

You are fine to cook on both grates. Did it many times, but I don't remember if I cooked 2 turkeys at once.

There is a little temp differential, so the upper rack will cook 10-15% faster than the bottom, but that is totally manageable. Cook on!

Comment

Here is a picture of the 2 16lb turkeys on ranch kettle. Click image for larger version

Name:	00 2 turkeys on ranch.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	773418

Comment

I love this so much. The Weber Ranch Kettle is my white whale.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here