Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning your WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your WSM

I was moving, had to put the smoker in storage. I have it back now. Opened the lid today. Oh lordy. I can replace the grates. ok fine. Cleaning, I read about it on the site...but mine is pretty bad. Do you just suggest sticking with the cleaning techniques here on AR or ? I really hate to buy a new one..but could I suppose if I am risky family and friends to sickness.. ? Anyone buy a used one and clean it or maybe your own turned out sad like mine?

Thanks!
    Melissa

Its porcelain. Yon can clean it. Some will disagree with me on this but ammonia, a disposable putty knife and some steel wool will take off a lot of bad. I understand even Weber says not to do that but I have need cleaning my 2005 WSM twice a year this way. When I find an old moldy kettle that I can't live without I do the same thing with it.

Obvius caution needs to be taken with both the mold and ammonia but it will clean up.

Comment

Or you can spray it down with degreaser or oven cleaner and take a pressure washer to it or take it to as car wash

Comment

A car wash works well. Throw those grates in your dishwasher, they'll be fine. Keep in mind that most of your cooking temps (225 & higher) will kill most bugs, so wouldn't worry much about getting anybody sick.

Comment

Thank you all! Ok...I'm giving it a super clean and a tough hot hot coal treatment today. Supposed to get to 52F and sunny in my area of Michigan, so let's see what I can do. Thanks for help.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            mclifford973 I'm the the great lakes state myself so if you decide to throw the thing away I'd be happy to dispose of it for you : )

• mclifford973
            mclifford973 commented
            Editing a comment
            Haaa. Funny. It's pretty scary. Today will be the day we know!

Well, this could not have been any more timely! I was going to wait about a week before asking the same thing. My WSM is in need of a thorough cleaning, but won't be doing it before April 16 (accountant here).

Thank you for asking!

Comment

Update: cleaned the WSM today. I did bring the grates inside, ignoring my gag reflex. Hot, super hot water. and brillo pad cleaned the grates. They came out great.

As for the part where the coals were, scooped that mess out, was soft, seemed fine. Easy. Hose washed and scrubbed. Looks ok.

Water pan harder to clean. Scraped with a plastic putty knife all the major weirdo-ness off. Tried to soak, tried to scrub, tried to brillo. Yeah, still burned on bit, but no creepy mold or similar.

Took the main body, just used a wire brush, sat it on the lawn and knocked off the junk. Seemed fine. Wiped with damp paper towels.

Reassembled everything up, filled with coals and let her rip till the coals were gone. I think it was hot enough to kill off anything I missed.

Am letting everything cool, will dump the coals in the morning. I think it's ready. Just now to get settled on temperature checking.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              mclifford973 you can put 3-4 sheets of foil on the bottom of the WSM and wrap the water pan with foil. That will make your next clean up easier.

I always foil my water pan. Makes clean up pretty much non-existent for the pan.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              This

I have the 14.5" version so my water pan easily fits into the dishwasher. :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here