Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone upgrade there wsm door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone upgrade there wsm door?

has anyone upgraded there wsm door to the Cajun bandit door?
    just wondering if it makes much difference in temp. control and fuel consumption.
    also wondering if it fit good, I saw 1 video on youtube that the door on a 18 wsm didn't fit at all and the guy had no customer service to help fix the issue. thanks

I did replace the one of my buddies WSM. I would say it makes it difference. Mostly because it is much more ridged and it seals far better.

I don't remember having issues getting it too fit. But it was about 4 years ago so I don't know for sure. I would say that it is a worthwhile upgrade, though.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the input, im debating on doing the mods on the wsm, or maybe upgrading to a backwoods chubby 3400

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, that is a serious upgrade, my friend.. If you can swing it, do it. Those are great rigs. Otherwise, the door should work too; or at least it has for my friend. marshall

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That Chubby is on my short list, bit I'm afraid we would look like twins...

I've used my WSM 22" for ten years with the factory door and never felt the need to upgrade with that mod. I did put a high temp gasket around the door and it sealed up leaks nicely. The smoker locks in at 250 degrees and stays there rock steady. If you are looking to get a Backwoods, I would put the Cajun door money towards that purchase.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      how are you setting your charcoal up and want brand are you using if I might ask? I have always had trouble keeping my temps above 225 , I soo donut method , thanks for any input

• dshaffes
      dshaffes commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tried lots of different methods with both lump and briquettes, but currently pour 10-12 hot coals on top of the fire ring filled with Kingsford. I then put the Hunsaker Vortex plate on top of the fire ring and do not use the water pan. If using a controller I set it to temp, and if using vents adjust appropriately. I've found that my WSM 22" wants to run at 250 as its happy place, but can easily get it going hotter with this setup.

I have the 18.5 WSM and I did the door replacement, as well as the lid gasket. I also put on the lid hinge. I have been very happy with all of the mods I’ve made. FWIW-I think it’s worth it.

Comment

The door I upgrade is really nice. I have the one with the upgraded handle. It’s totally worth it.

Is it necessary? I doubt it. But the stock door seems cheap compared to the rest of the cooker. I recommend the upgrade kit with the expansion ring. It really kicks the cooker up a notch.

Comment

I bought a new door for my 18 and it didnt impact my cooking whatsoever.....but its pretty so i bought one for my 22 as well

Comment

I agree with the tighter fit. Bought one for each of mine. Is it worth $50 a pop, debatable?

Best thing I did to all my Webers, including the WSMs, is to install a fan control port on each one. That and a probe bladder makes for hands free cooking.

Comment

Save your money on the door and do what Troutman and I did. Buy a fan controller. Unless you have a horrendous door it won't make nearly the difference a fan controller will.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              There are a few on the market but the best setup, imho, is the Fireboard drive, cable and the Pit Viper fan. It will run almost any cooker except a large stick burner.

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              It came down down to the Fireboard and Thermoworks Signals. I went with the Signals because I liked the display better. You can easily see the details on all 4 channels without needing to take your phone out and using the app. The unit can also get wet. You don’t need a cover like the FB. I think the FB software might be a little nicer, but have no complaints with the Signals software. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

• junior24
              junior24 commented
              Editing a comment
              I purchased the UltraQ from BBQ Guru. The kit comes with a Pit Viper fan an adapter. I was able to get it set up in a few minutes. It works great.

I also bought the door from Cajun Bandit. It sealed things up nicely. I've only used it once since and got 12 hours at 235. It could have went at least 3 more based on the amount of charcoal left,

Originally posted by marshall View Post
            has anyone upgraded there wsm door to the Cajun bandit door?
            just wondering if it makes much difference in temp. control and fuel consumption.
            also wondering if it fit good, I saw 1 video on youtube that the door on a 18 wsm didn't fit at all and the guy had no customer service to help fix the issue. thanks
            I have the CB door on my 22" and it's an outstanding difference in temp control and honestly added another 2 hours to a full basket of coals. It uses a sort of cam-locking action and doesn't require any gasket to not leak air/smoke. It's worth it.

Comment

Personally, I HATE the Cajun Bandit door "upgrade". I had a couple, and to me, they were "downgrades".

They were beautiful stainless steel, but they cost way too much money and both were slightly too big, and thus chipped the enamel coating on my WSMs.

I reverted to the original doors on all my WSMs, and added a gasket sealer. Works like magic, for much less money.

Do NOT "upgrade" your WSM with a Cajun Bandit door. Not worth the money, and could chip away the enamel coating on your WSMs the way they did on two of mine.
              Last edited by TBoneJack; October 30, 2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• The Big Gator
                The Big Gator commented
                Editing a comment
                I have to agree with you. I received mine today and have experienced everything you ran into, Seems like the bottom lip is not offset enough which makes for too tight of a fit. The bottom corners of the door opening lost the porcelain coating. It’s not worth it IMO. I may try again but meh. Disappointing.

• jitsntricks
                jitsntricks commented
                Editing a comment
                What gasket are you using to seal the original doors? Just a lava lock felt type?

Wow. I have nothing in this game. Lots of good and differing advice. That is just another example of how well this site works.

Comment

Originally posted by TBoneJack View Post
                Personally, I HATE the Cajun Bandit door "upgrade". I had a couple, and to me, they were "downgrades".

They were beautiful stainless steel, but they cost way too much money and both were slightly too big, and thus chipped the enamel coating on my WSMs.

I reverted to the original doors on all my WSMs, and added a gasket sealer. Works like magic, for much less money.

Do NOT "upgrade" your WSM with a Cajun Bandit door. Not worth the money, and could chip away the enamel coating on your WSMs the way they did on two of mine.
                Bummer that's the experience you had, but I'm glad to hear a different perspective. I wonder if there's ever been revisions in the shape that's given people different results. I've only had mine a few months but I'll keep an eye on chipping coating.

Comment

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well I’m finding this just now and looking to see if you experienced any chipping?

Originally posted by CBM87 View Post

Bummer that's the experience you had, but I'm glad to hear a different perspective. I wonder if there's ever been revisions in the shape that's given people different results. I've only had mine a few months but I'll keep an eye on chipping coating.
                If it hasn't chipped your coating by now, it probably won't. I loved the look and thickness of the steel door.

Comment

I just bought a new WSM 18.5, and I bought a Cajun Bandit door to go with it. So far, I'm not happy. There is about a 1/2" gap between the upper right side of the door and the body of the WSM.
                  Cajun Bandit included a sheet of paper saying this was a possibility, and to use a paint can as a "jig" to get the door to fit properly. They say it is caused by an out of round WSM. I have a hard time believing that. And this happens often enough that they include instructions o how to fix it.
                  However, I don't have a paint can, which supposedly has the proper radius to be used as a jig. And they don't say if you should hammer it, or somehow otherwise bend it to fit. I emailed them over a week ago for clarification, and they haven't responded.
                  I am less than happy with them and their product.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had a similar issue with my 18” WSM. I just put the lip of the upper corner in a vice and gently worked it into the shape necessary. It took a few tries but I got it tight enough. Eventually, with all the gunk buildup, it’s tight and doesn’t leak smoke.

• marshall
                    marshall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks for posting that , not the first time ive heard of there poor customer service, sorry for your let down and hopefully you can get it to work with little frustrations

I wrote to them 2 more times using their link. I never got an answer. I'll never buy anything from them again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here