Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Hanging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Hanging

I recently acquired a Honsaker rib hanger for my 18 WSM. Is there any advantage leaving the water pan in while hanging ribs? I didn’t think it would fit hanging 4 racks better there is plenty of clearance. Just thought it might keep the bottom ends from burning. Any thoughts?

Sorry can be of no help other than to offer greetings from South Africa.

Comment

I think you are correct. When I hang in my propane cabinet, i use the water pan and it evens out the temps and keeps everything most.

Comment

You really don't need the water pan. Anytime I run a WSM I take it out anyway.

Having the fat drip onto the coals will give you an awesome flavor. That is how the Pit Barrel Cooker operates, and it kicks out some great tasting ribs. The fat drips down on to the colas and flavors the meat as it vaporizes.

They very bottom of the ribs might get a little crispy, but it is nothing to worry about. As the fat runs down the meat, it keeps them moist and pretty much free of burning. Jus make sure your lid seals well and all will be good!

Comment

No drip pan in the PBC like Spinaker said. I do advise you to double hook to keep from have something fall into the coals.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Also a good call. Get that daisy chain going! gmalinsky

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup! +1 for double serial hooking ...

If you’re trying to emulate a PBC then lose the water pan fer sure ...

Comment

Yup lose the pan. I just did the same thing for mine. You need to let the grease hit the fire.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here