Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best option for searing on the WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option for searing on the WSM

Right now, I've been loading up hot coals in the charcoal ring, and just putting the cooking grate over the ring. It works well, but wondering if anyone here has a better/more efficient system. The WSM site suggests buying a replacement charcoal grate and configuring it so there would be 3.5 inches from the hot coals to the food being cooked.

Several approaches to grilling on the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker are shown, all of which require bringing hot charcoal and cooking grate closer together.

I was also thinking about filling up hot charcoals in a vortex and putting the cooking grate/meat on that.

Anyone have a good system? Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys cooking this weekend!

Just curious, is this your only cooker? I personally love smoking on my WSM but have only grilled on it a couple of times. Basically did what you did but just built a real wood fire in the ring and grilled over the lower grate, sort of Santa Maria style.

Why not not just invest in a kettle?

Comment

Try the afterburner method with a chimney and grate.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good suggestion. I forgot I had tried that once. Got a fantastic sear. Not ideal for searing two pieces of meat at once, I found.

When I grill in mine I do what you are doing. I cook on the top grate with the bowl removed. When it comes time sear I remove the ring and put the lower grate (kept cold up to this point) right on top of the charcoal ring. It works well for me.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Yeah, if that's the best way to do it, I'm good with it. Although, I see a Kettle in my future. Relatively inexpensive investment for a huge upside.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        The kettle is far more versatile. Just about any time I'm considering my WSM, PBC or OKJ offset, I could just do it in my 26" kettle. Smoking77

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      Just curious, is this your only cooker? I personally love smoking on my WSM but have only grilled on it a couple of times. Basically did what you did but just built a real wood fire in the ring and grilled over the lower grate, sort of Santa Maria style.

Why not not just invest in a kettle?
      Troutman My cookers are the WSM 18, and an old gasser that I just put grill grates on. I'm going to invest in a pellet in the next few weeks for easy smoking. I am definitely thinking of also getting a kettle with an SNS. Maybe install the CyberQ from my WSM onto the kettle (by drilling; seen lots of great posts on this) and then I've got everything I need. But in the short term, if I can find a way to get a great sear without adding another cooker, I'd like to try that.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        I just discovered how awesome it is to have a fan controller on my 18” WSM. Don’t want to stop you from purchasing a new cooker, but you can get a fan controller setup for a fraction of the cost of a good pellet machine.

I bought an Auber unit for around $160 after adding the gasket and switch. Unfortunately I see ThermoWorks just came out with a fan for my Signals so now I’ll have two, lol.

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoking77 , after I got my SnS, I RARELY use my smoker!

I've been doing the afterburner method with a chimney and grate, and that works pretty well on the lean steaks.
      How do you keep the fat from burning before the meat is ready on steaks like the ribeye and the NY strip?

Comment

So, I purchased the RecTec stampede, because I really really wanted a pellet grill. It's coming Friday. I use my WSM with the CyberQ for smoking. And I bought a Vortex that I put on the WSM cooking grate that sears perfectly. I need to start another thread titled, "The Vortex is my new best friend!"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here