Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM Grate Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM Grate Temps

Last night I picked up a new to me WSM. I’m going to install a probe port. I was wondering if there is enough difference in the temps on the cooking grates as they are set at different heights That I should monitor both or if it’s close enough to not have to concern myself with it?

If yer gonna cook on both, then yes, I'd set up a probe at both levels...

Comment

I’ve been thinking about this myself. I agree with Mr. Bones, you will have two temperatures but what do you do about it? Seeing the difference drives my obsessive compulsive disorder off the charts and I become my own worst enemy.

I use to place a probe on the top rack but after this weekend I’m going to start using the probe port in the rubber gasket. My reasoning, there will be a difference, but what can you do about it? The side port seems to be placed to where you’ll get a good average. My methodology, as long as you put your bigger mass of meat on top, you’re doing the best you can do.

This weekend I cooked my first brisket. For the first time I also used an Auber Instruments fan/controller. I used two ambient probes, one from my Thermoworks Signals, and one from the Auber. The Thermoworks probe was on the rack and the Auber was in the port.

My cook was ~ 22 hours. During that time there were times where both probes were within 10 degrees or so, and times when they were spot on with each other. Which do I trust? Both. I sure there were times where different things were going on at different places of the WSM. The Auber held a steady temp the entire time.

My thought is with one on each rack you’ll end of battling between the two of them. You’re never going to be at exactly 225 at all points of the WSM so what’s the point? As long as you are holding a constant temperature at one point, you should be good. My thought is might as well use the port Weber gave me.

The other thing you need to consider is placement of the probes. If you’re using two probes you can really get in to a mess if you place one of them too close to what you are cooking. There are far more experienced people here to correct me if I’m wrong, but from everything I’ve learned that would really mess things up.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. You might want to use one on each grate until you learn the cooker, but then just use one to get an idea where the temps are. I would monitor each clod for doneness. And you can always switch locations for the meat at some point.

Comment

• Pow7der
          Pow7der commented
          Editing a comment
          As I think about it, knowing whether or not I should rotate the cooked items from one grate to the other (assuming I’m cooking on both) mid-cook is what I would be most concerned about.

I recognize that there will be different temps, at different levels in any cooker, but, full disclosure, I don't use leave in thermos when cookin...ain't found me no need to, so fer.

I simply monitor my foods, test with thermo pop, thermapen, especial when it looks like we're nearin completion.

I feel no particular compulsion to have an updated cooker, or internal temp update every second, or five; this is chillaxin time, fer me...

I see a lotta cookers, an cooks in progress, all wired up like a borderline case in ICU, an that's jus fine, if that's how yall wanna do it. Always interested in th data, an charts yall have collected, since I'm purty scientific minded...

Jus not my cuppa tea...

My first digital leave in, I bought from a Pit Member, shortly after I arrived here...

Gifted it, NIB, bout 2 yrs later, to another Pit Member.

Comment

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Reading between the lines, relax! You are the man.

I have the small 14.5 WSM. I haven't noticed much in the way of temp differences between the 2 grates. I just push the thermometer through the grommet and measure temps between the 2 grates. Food seems to cook at the same pace when using both grates.

Comment

Agreed. For the first time I cooked two butts over the Memorial Day weekend. I bought a 2-pack and they were similar in size. I separated the two by sight. The smaller of the two on the bottom. Long story short they both finished within 20 minutes of each other.

Comment

Don't worry about it...…. I belonged to a BBQ club at one time and one of the members had just bought a new 18 WSM. He was a sort of a sort of a technical nerd and wanted to know what the differences were between the two cooking grates. Well we set it up for a Sat. after he had done a couple of cooks. We gathered around his new WSM and some chicken thighs and other food he provided and set up a controlled test. Several of us brought our digital probes over and set them on each level of the grates and off we went. The temps were within 10-12 degrees of each other and our member had a fit. He got rid of his new WSM. I never did hear what he bought to replace it, if any thing.

So don't ever worry about your smokes they will turn out fine with just a little bit of attention at the end.

Comment

• Pow7der
              Pow7der commented
              Editing a comment
              It definitely won’t get to the point of me getting rid of it because the temps are a little different. It’s more of me wanting to understand what is happening under the lid while it is closed. That way if something happens, I have somewhat of an understanding of what happened to cause it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here