Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pan juice disposal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pour it out in the woods... No bears to worry about in my neighborhood. Hopefully the deer that are out back don't get the taste of meat... I'm screwed if they do.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! That is funny!

In the ditch across the street.

Comment

Dump it in the woods back behind the house. I hear lots of critters scratching around out there after a cook.

Comment

You live in Martha’s Vineyard? Shoot, I’d dump it in the vineyard, or put it in a big container with a hose attached& then ride around the neighborhood and let er drip around.

Comment

I break the fat down with dish soap as much as possible. I don't know if it is better for the landfill or not. I measure the water I put in the pan with milk jugs so I know the waste will fit right back in it. In the trash it goes.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with dumping it in the woods, behind the garage, etc. It's fat, not poison. Unless, of course, your trying to deter bears, skunks, etc. from hanging around.

Comment

I have an old stump in my backyard that I dump all of my used oil in. The squirrels and coons love going down in the stump for some dinner in the winter. However, this fall we are gonna have a fire to take care of that old SOB.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                It is gonna smolder down for days! Mudkat

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker Smores and hogdogs baby!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Should be good for that. Mudkat

I foil the bowl before I put water in it. After cook is done there is very little water so I roll up the foil and into the neighbor's yard it goes. I mean trash.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahaha

I use drip pans in my offset and kettle, and usually line the bottom of the offset (or the DNG in the kettle) with foil as well. I toss the foil and drip pans full of grease into the trash. I dump the grease bucket from the offset into the trash as well, with some paper towels to help absorb it. Any water left in my SNS goes into the yard.

Comment

Get rid of the water pan, problem solved. Haven't used mine in my WSMs for years now.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was gonna say the same thing, Señor Trout.

• Anton32828
                  Anton32828 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought the water pan (dry or wet) was important for low & slow? How do you keep the temperature down to 225 range?

I am doing a cook as I type this (ribs). I plan to do what I saw on one of Harry Soo’s videos: bag the ash & dump the water & grease in there. I live in Central Florida where the groundwater aquifer has enough problems without me adding to it. If I lived elsewhere I probably would dig a disposal pit out back.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just got done smoking 8 lbs of bacon in a WSM, and held 225*, fan controlled, for 3 hours without a water pan. Do it all the time.

I pour it into an empty milk jug. Place in the freezer until trash day.
                Doesn't putting in the grass draw flies?

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joetee Don't know about nasty water but I used to change my own motor oil and put the old oil in empty gallon milk jugs. When I'd get 4-5 I'd bring them to the filling station and they'd dump them in their oil reservoir (remember those days?). Well one day I came out of the house into the garage and 2 of the plastic gallons had burst and 2 gallons of nasty motor oil was all over the place. It didn't draw any flies but it sure did produce some nasty cussing out of my mouth !!!

I mix mine with a little Jack Daniels. 🥃 Saves me a ton on Cokes.

Comment

WSM......water pan.....I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but based on your answers, I think that is a good thing! My pellet poopor only poops grease and I just pour it on the trash on Friday night for the bears, they gotta have a Friday night to!

Comment

I have a 10 gallon galvanized trash can with a locking lid that I use for ash. I line it with a heavy duty trash bag and I dump the grease into the ashes.After the can gets full I just pull out the bag and toss it into trash.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here