Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: You can do 12 racks of St. Louis ribs in an 18" WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: You can do 12 racks of St. Louis ribs in an 18" WSM

I'm sure for you PBC and UDS types, this is no surprise, but I've picked ups number of accessories for my 18" WSM and it's able to basically run like a bullet smoker and a drum smoker. I'm very happy with the results.

For a company party, I did 12 racks of St. Louis ribs yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs-ribs-ribs.jpg
Views:	2317
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	627778

I've got the Cajun Bandit Upgrade Kit (totally worth it) along with the rib hanger kit from Gateway Drum Smokers.

I like this combo of things because I prefer the more specific heat control I get with the WSM along with some of the neat things you can do with interchangeable parts (some of these parts can be swapped with an 18" grill, including a Jumbo Joe). Additionally, the water pan works as a heat diffuser so I don't end up with bottoms cooked more than the tops. I even added a pizza pan that works as a reusable drip pan.

This is the first time I have done so many ribs. I was really worried about how they'd cook and such. While I took no "after" pictures (I was too rushed with the party) they're all gone now!

Cool.

Did you use the stacker kit when cooking those ribs?

I just ordered the Gateway rib hanger kit for my WSM 18 (and 22). Since the 18 is shorter than the 22, I'm a little concerned about the ribs being too close to the coals in the 18. If so, the stacker kit would certainly be a fix.

Also, I was wondering if you find the Cajun Bandit coal ring to be an upgrade over the standard WSM coal ring?

Thanks.

Comment

I got the stacker ring specifically for this purpose. I have done 5 racks off to one side using the SNS charcoal basket to keep the coals banked to one side. It worked, but it halves the capacity and the bottoms still got cooked more.

As for the coal ring... it's okay. They advertise a welded version but it's actually got rivets. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying.

The only reason I got it is because it's pretty much free if you buy the kit in the sense that the stacker ring and the door with the improved handle cost just about as much together as the kit does. The nice thing about the ring that I do like is that it has tabs on the bottom and your grate rests inside the ring rather than the ring on the grate so you can take it out as a single unit. (Nothing a bit of wire couldn't solve on the original though.) I wouldn't buy it alone, but the door is such an upgrade and the stacker is awesome that you might as well get the kit which includes all three.

If you just ordered it... it might be too late, but get all your hooks now! I bought 6 extra hooks weeks later and with shipping it's like double the price.

I'm a huge fan of this setup. It's very versatile and while I don't have any direct experience with something like a PBC, I feel like I get kinda the best of both worlds with this setup. Now I just need to get some wheels on this thing and maybe a few extra handles.

Comment

Really nice job, helpful post, an tutorial, many thanks, Amigo!
        I've long considered th 30 gal UDS rack kit, to add onto one of my 18.5" WSMs...
        This jus might be motivational enough to make me commit...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	HangEmHigh sm.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	628046

Comment

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          lol. I'll now think of Clint Eastwood whenever I hang my ribs.

I recommend the kit, obviously, unless you have a bunch of other means of hanging ribs.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Might jus order th 30 gal rack kit; it's a turrible, onerous task to haveta tie 12 actual, workin hangman's nooses...

Good post, I wish I had thought about Gateway Drums' hanger kit before I fabbed up one of my own. I cook directly over lump charcoal and manage the temps to 250-280. This has become our favorite way to cook ribs. Thanks for sharing.
        Attached Files

Comment

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          Weber used to make something kinda like it. A lot of Googling lead me to the Gateway drum one and... during holiday sales no less! Fabbing your own is pretty awesome though.

I can't put my finger on it, but man... hanging meats to cook is so oddly satisfying. Why should the way you cook your meat actually provide joy? I have no idea, but it totally does.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Carpe Carne, Amigo!
          If it makes ya Happy, be at peace with that, an don't ask too many questions lol!

Course, my Inner Child runs th whole show, here...only way I can tolerate th world, nowadays...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here