Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM 18.5 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chriscrna
    replied
    Nice work! I'm with you Jon thinking that third rack needs to happen to mine soon. Jlazar, can't go wrong with the hinge....one of the best things I've done to it.

Leave a comment:

• THoey1963
    replied
    Nice job...

Leave a comment:

• jlazar
    replied
    Cost about $15 for the extra rack at Home Depot. A packet of 8 nuts and screws was about $1.65. Took about 45 min including getting tools out and putting away.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    That third rack is a sweet idea. I'm thinking that has to happen to mine soon. I dont like cleaning rib rack much and that is a great answer.

Leave a comment:

• jlazar
    started a topic WSM 18.5 Mods

WSM 18.5 Mods

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141022_111052_edited-3.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	27254 Click image for larger version

Name:	20141022_110939_edited-3.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	27253

Just finished my latest mods to my recently acquired WSM 18.5. I added a middle cooking grate (same size as top grate). Removed each bracket, measured halfway on each bracket (4 1/4 " from top of bracket), drilled and countersunk a 3/16 hole on back side, inserted a #10 3/4" flat head machine screw and put on two nuts, and cut off excess screw. The smaller bottom grate clears the nuts easily. The second top grate sits snugly on top of the nuts with no play. When in this three grate config, I will use the middle grate to monitor the temp. You can see where the grommet is located in relation to the second grate. Three grates will allow me to cook up to 4 racks of ribs laying flat (although cut in half). It will also allow me to cook up to 3 racks of ribs flat and a brisket, or 10 chicken breasts and 20 legs/thighs.

Using some extra deck boards, I also built a rolling platform for the WSM. I used 2" instead of 3" casters since I am not covering great distances or rough ground. I put three lag bolts up through the bottom of the platform into holes in the WMS legs. This keeps the WSM centered on the platform but allow easy removal of the charcoal base for dumping.

Other mods include the Cajun Bandit door, a Brinkman charcoal pan to use as a water pan, and handles for the middle section. I am contemplating adding the hinge, gaskets and a better compression latch for the door.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here