Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bellows air leaks - need some quick fix ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bellows air leaks - need some quick fix ideas.

I didn't notice this when I did my dry run with my ThermWorks bellows (daylight, relatively warm out), but I am leaking smoke around the two closed bottom vents whenever the bellows fan turns on. I of course found this out after I started my smoke tonight - Christmas night with nothing open. I tried sealing the vents from the outside with duct tape - yeah that lasted about 30 seconds. So, I either go old school as the temps drop into the teens tonight or I lose heat and smoke every time the fan turns on.

Any ideas for a quick fix? I had no idea that the bottom vents would be so loose that they would leak that much smoke and heat. Thanks

Is it really affecting your cook? I mean leaking smoke is no big deal typically.

Comment

• jsaniga
      jsaniga commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably not. Tough to tell, May extend the time a bit. Smoke leaks = heat loss I was always taught.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      But you have a billows which will compensate for the less heat by forcing in more oxygen. Your fine. Might burn a lump or two more charcoal.

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with texastweeter. If your cooker is forcing combustion air into the chamber it's just going to compensate for any heat loss due to leaks. My cooker is a pellet smoker and the thing leaks smoke out of every crack, opening, and orifice it has. Air leaks are more of a problem for cookers that don't have an electronic feedback loop controlling the temperature.

All my stuff leaks. I just carry on.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait. We are talking cookers .....yes?

My Primo leaks when the controller fan kicks on 100%, unless the top vent is very open. This is simply because the fan pushes in more air than the top vent allows out, and then positive pressure forces air past the felt gaskets. But it does not really "leak" under zero pressure conditions.

I can choke down the fan, for low and slow I discovered the fan choke can be set to 50% or even lower. But the top vent really limits the air that can flow naturally.

So I just ignore a little bit of smoke being pushed out. As long as the temperature is not running away, all is well.

Comment

Hi temp foil tape. Food safe of coarse...

I believe I purchased mine at Amazon...
      Around 10 - 15 bucks I believe.

Not much good now, I know, but it's nice to have around.
      Last edited by Allon; December 25, 2022, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. Powering on. Going to set my batch for 2 hour intervals to check on it: can’t figure out the alarm on the ambient probe.

Comment

texastweeter me at the end of the cook, Anna see the victory lap. You will be fine.

Comment

Ended up kicking up a fair amount of ash dust. Little disappointed the fan pulses so hard instead of a steady blow.

Next time it drops into teens, I will definitely won’t use water in the pan.

Comment

• Jessterr
              Jessterr commented
              Editing a comment
              Sound like you definitely need to get that Billows damper that we spoke about earlier. It should steady things out and get rid of the strong air blast that's causing the ash to kick up.

Just to follow up - ThermoWorks customer service is solid! Talked to them today and they’re sending me a damper no charge. Great talking to them. Depending on your smoker, some people need 2 bellows but for we WSM folks the full force of one can be too much. Should address all of my ash concerns and how fast I was burning through fuel. I never mentioned the damper, just my experience and they took care of me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here