Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a turkey on the WSM 22"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a turkey on the WSM 22"

Any recommendations on how to prevent the turkey from turning black on the WSM? I am trying to get a nice brown color. I usually cook for 3 - 3.5 hours at 325.

I have smoked many turkeys on my 18" wsm and have never had one turn black. What are you putting on it? I usually make a paste with butter and whatever rub I am using, slather it on including under the skin, and run the wsm with the water pan at 275-325 until it temps right. Actually, lately I have not used the water pan come to think of it.
    Last edited by klflowers; November 23, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Sounds like the rub/seasoning used. If that is the reason try SPG, or a good poultry seasoning.
      Are you basting it with Black Strap Molasses?
      I hope it is not dark from Bitter Black Smoke.
      Anyway, I'm a pellet-head, not smart enough for fire management.

Comment

How you put it in, by and large, determines how it comes out...

Brine\No Brine
        Wet brine\ Dry brine
        Rub\No rub
        Inject\No inject
        Which wood to use and how much...
        How hot for how long...
        Are you cooking it whole?

Comment

Once I get the color I like, I'll tent the breast and foil the leg / wings.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I do on the Weber kettle...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here