Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM 18 + hanging rack = PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM 18 + hanging rack = PBC?

I am new to the WSM (it’s an 18), but am beginning to understand its ways. I have just gotten a hanging rack to go with it, and was wondering if this made it operate like the PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker) does.

Specifically, if I took the water pan and racks out, once I get the temperature stabilized at ~275, would it then have the same temp dynamics of the PBC? So that I could simply hang a rack of ribs or a brisket or some chicken halves and then not have to worry about uneven cooking? And just leave it be?

I’m tempted by all the PBC recipes and methods out there…

Pretty much, but easier to control the temperature. I have owned a PBC and WSM, and the setup you describe can produce results that are similar to what you get with a PBC.

Comment

I haven't used a pbc but I have hung stuff in my wsm. Honestly I wasn't that impressed; if the goal is to get the effect of the juices hitting the hot coals, I can just remove the water pan and use the racks (i don't use the water pan that much anymore anyway). That being said, the pbc construction is different and that may account for the raves it gets.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        And you don’t have to worry about everything falling in to the briquettes. Best of both worlds.

Given the WSM’s adjustability I’d say WSM 18 + hanging rack > PBC!

Comment

I have an 18" WSM and a rib hanger. Operate just like a PBC? You can, but why? With the WSM you can regulate the heat and I recommend a diffuser plate. I've gotten really good ribs off my PBC and great ribs off the WSM w/ rack.

Comment

I have a 18” WSM and I also have the rack for hanging ribs. I love it. I’ve never used a PBC but listening to all the PBC’ers out there it sounds like you are correct.

Comment

Word is they did 29 prototypes. That tells me they worked with the 30 gallon drum and came up with 29 separate alterations.
            I am not familiar with the WSM. If it is not a drum, it is not a PBC. I am amazed with the food that comes off of this cooking machine. Fish, brisky, Ribs, pulled pork! For the dollars invested, it does not get any easier!

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

the main reason I wanted to compare the two setups is that I’m still building a model of how this thing works in my head, and I keep hearing how well the PBC works for similar meat projects.

but it’s evident from everyone’s comments here, that the WSM has much better temperature and humidity control if I want to leverage it. But good to know that I CAN lock it down and treat it like a drum-and-hanger PBC when I want to. But I’ve already done ribs (hot), cheese (cold), and fish (warm) in it. And salt. And it cost me half what the PBC does.

Next up: Turkey!

Comment

The only time I would recommend hanging ribs is if you were cooking multiple racks for a big party, like 4 racks or more. Otherwise remove the water bowl and just use the grates. PBC is for people who haven’t figured that out yet. 😉

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here