Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full versus empty water pans for brisket & butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full versus empty water pans for brisket & butts

Been watching a lot of videos on YouTube on smoking briskets and butts. The majority of WSM folks seem to put water in the pan for briskets, especially for the first few hours. They say it helps the some adhere to the meat because of the humidity. Ok, fine. Then I watch Harry Soo who never adds water to the pan. Ok, seems to work well for him. For me, I think it could come down to what time of year I am smoking in Carolina- but I saw a guy in Canada who filled up his pan about half way during a winter smoke...so that challenged my ambient temperature theory.

What do y'all do with the water pans for briskets and butts? Have you found differences in bark and moisture going one way or the other?

I used to use the water pan religiously. Not so much anymore. On really hot days it helps keep the pit temps down, and it may extend the life of the fire on long cooks, but I never really paid attention. Now I use it if I think about it, but I don't think it makes a huge difference. I haven't noticed a big difference in the finished product.

Comment

Harry Soo likes to spritz with straight water, fairly heavily if I remember - every half hour to hour or so. Until he wraps.

So does Jeremy Yoder.

They claim this helps the bark set, maybe they're right - I can't argue with 'em.

I like spritzing with 50/50 water/apple cider vinegar. I only use a water pan in my Smoke Vault - last time I did a hot & fast brisket in my Yoder, I put a water pan on the bottom shelf, the bottom of the brisket was soggy, the bark was mush - and the brisket was overdone and dry, but that was my fault, not the water pan's fault.

Comment

I use the water pan for everything except chicken and turkey. It helps to regulate the temps regardless of the humidity issue.

Comment

I stopped using the water pan probably 5 years or so ago. I wrap it in a double layer of foil and put it in place as a heat deflector and spritz with water and apple juice as needed.

Comment

I use water in the heat deflector/pan as recommended by the manufacturer, but I am not nearly as experienced as a lot of the folks around here. The problem I have is the the pan of water cooks away and then causes temps to spike quickly if I don't refill it (I have a Kamander, kamado style unit). Still not sure if it makes a difference, but I would rather do without it to be honest.

Comment

I use water pans in my big smoker mainly as a heat diffuser. I do believe the humidity added does give me moister, more tender meat that without. But I would say that's my smoker and may not apply to others. I'd say try with and without and test for yourself!

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on this method

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Same reason I like water pan in my WSM. It’s a diffuser and heat sink. With a full water pan, I get very stable temps. With an empty water pan, if I’m trying to keep temps around 250 I find that I have massive temp swings.

• jsaniga
                jsaniga commented
                Editing a comment
                ecowper I had that issue with the first butt I smoked a few months back. Hot day, not a lot of shade for the start of the smoke, and I almost stalled the coals I had the top vent closed so much and was still running hot.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here