Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM upgrades: who’s done it, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only mods done to my decade old 18" was to put casters on it. The casters are a must have mod for me as I keep all my various grills in a "corral" and just roll out the one I need at the time.
    I was able to gently bend the door so it fits snug and doesn't leak and never felt the need to buy an aftermarket door.
    Considered putting the lid hinge on (I have one on my kettle) but since I generally have no need to repeatedly open/close the lid on the WSM during a cook I never bothered installing one.

Comment

I added gasket felt around the door and the lid. I ended up with felt around the sides and top of the barrel opening and then put a piece of felt across the bottom of the door and I’ve been happy with the results.

The only other thing I’ve done is replace the stock thermometer with a big ole 4 inch guy plus adding wooden handles to all the vents. It’s nice being able to check temps from afar while I do yard work or lounge in the hammock.

Comment

I have done nothing to my wsm - well, not quite true. I did buy a charcoal basket from a company called Arbor Fabricating that is a much better basket (www.arborfab.com) but nothing else. I have a fan but I don't use it anymore. I get it to run at 225 just fine with the stock door. Now the I bought the OKJ Bronco though, the wsm isn't getting much love...

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          surfdog It’s a well known fact that Bronco owners have sex 40% more often than non Bronco owners.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers I also bought the charcoal basket from Arbor for my 18in WSM. For my first cook, I filled up the basket and set my fan controller to 225. After 24 hours, it was still going strong. Will never need to do a cook for that long, but fun to know I can!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoking77 that basket is great. I haven't used my fan with it, and I got 24 hours at about 230 on a relatively chilly day.

Lid hinge
        Cajun bandit wheels, door, charcoal ring, and side table
        Lava Rock thermo
        Stanley handles on middle section
        Unknown BBQ tool hanger
        FlameBoss 500
        Covers & All cover
        Fire Dial diffuser

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          That thing is tricked out.

Thanks everyone,
        I really appreciate the detailed responses.
        From what I see, the door, perhaps gaskets.... much beyond that, one might wonder if it would be more prudent to simply buy a better kettle that's got those upgrades stock, or is build in a way that it doesn't need them.
        The other thing I'm curious about is, seeing WSM has such a following and clearly an aftermarket for upgrades, why wouldn't Weber put out a WSM premium w/ all the upgrades stock?
        JD
        Last edited by jjdbike; June 16, 2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John portable to me means I can pick it up and put it in the back of my truck. That ain't happening with the Bronco. And never ever ever disagree with me again lol

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Just wanted to make sure you didn’t kick my ass in Blanco this fall.🥸

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John I would pass out trying to kick your ass lol

I replaced the door with the Cajun Bandit one, as others have mentioned here. I also put Lavalock gaskets around the door as well as the top dome - makes a huge difference in controlling the temp.

I’m looking at also upgrading my charcoal ring/basket to get more capacity and better airflow.

Comment

I was advised to not make any additions or 'upgrades' to my WSM 22' until I had used it a few times. I did that and soon had it mostly figured out, so the only modification I have ever made was to add lavalock gasket around the door (that helped with the temp control). I never bought the cajun door. I considered the top hinge but never got around to it.

Only additions have been hunsaker rib hanger setup if I recall correctly.

Good luck with your WSM! It'll work great however you set it up.

Comment

I like to put my thermometers under the lid rather than through the side so I cut channels in my 22.5 and 14.5. It works great and I can lift the grate out without having to remove the probes.
          I have been flamed for daring to hurt my WSM, some people act like it is a Rolls Royce or rare painting.

I also added handles to my 14.5's main body so it is super easy for an old guy like me to lift to add coals.
          Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            no idea why people act like that. I drilled holes in my WSM for the lid hinge. Which I love. But I'm sure someone will act like I committed some major felony.

jeffpadell ”…some people act like it is a Rolls Royce…” And even then, it really is just a car and one is free to customise as they see fit.
          Case in point…
          Click image for larger version

Name:	E1666536-2350-4398-BCC1-5F7D7E1A403A.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1272109
          Fine art I wouldn’t suggest tampering with, but cars & cookers are neither.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here