Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason to NOT use a continuous temp probe on a pork but?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrteddyprincess
    commented on 's reply
    tbob4 already wrote what I was going to write. I probed every chance I got until I started seeing how pork butt cooks go and now I only use the probe to feel whether it's done or not. I don't pay attention to pork butt temps now that I have a good feel for it.

• jsaniga
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper helpful as always, much appreciated!

• radiodome21
    commented on 's reply
    Me too. I just did one unwrapped yesterday that we had for dinner last night and I had for lunch today and it was damn good.

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory , it's definitely easier to just put it in there from the start, and I have always done it for that reason. Unless I'm starting with a frozen butt, which has become my go-to method over the past year or so.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    I agree on the utility of the internal thermometer for most of the cook but it's easier, to me, to just put it in there and let it ride.

• Steve R.
    replied
    IMHO, there's really no point in monitoring the IT until the last couple of hours of cooking. And even then, it just lets me know when to start checking for tenderness.

But I also like data, so I understand why someone would want to track the temperature and time from start to finish.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    radiodome21 I think wrapping is a personal preference. Can do it either way. Heck, I cook ‘em both ways.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I'm with everyone else, if you have it, why not use it. Yes you can just go by time and start probing with an instant read every 30 minutes to an hour after the 12 hour mark.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    The key is your first post. you're doing. your first pork butt. The videos you see are likely made by people who've done dozens of those. I would use (and do use) a thermometer so you can get a feel for what butts look like at 150, 180, etc. Eventually you probably wouldn't need one. But there's not any reason to avoid their use.

Leave a comment:

• radiodome21
    commented on 's reply
    I like wrapping them and usually will do that. I usually wrap at 160ish and wait until it’s at 203 range to take it off. I always use a thermometer 🌡 for my cooks. I have the Signals X4 and thermapen.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    jsaniga here you go

This easy pulled pork recipe skips the slow cooker to create authentic low-and-slow smoked pulled pork on a smoker or grill. With smoke woven through the moist meat, bits of seasoned crust, and a gentle splash of BBQ sauce, pulled pork is perfect for your next backyard cookout.

• MBMorgan
    replied
    No reason NOT to ... in fact, (in my case) it really IS necessary due to the need to show SWMBO what an essential TOOL the fancy WiFi probe thermometer is ... and why I will always need to buy more of them ...
    Last edited by MBMorgan; November 21, 2021, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jsaniga
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper I have Meathead’s book but didn’t see a method for butts. Am I missing something or is it on the website somewhere? When you cook yours, what temp do you cook at & about how long does yours take?

• Mosca
    replied
    I do it because it’s easy and it works. No reason not to.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    No reason to have one for hours upon hours in the beginning of the cook. Later on, it’s up to you how close you monitor it (if at all).

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here