Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason to NOT use a continuous temp probe on a pork but?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbob4
    replied
    When I first received my FireBoard, I used the probe for pork butt - I found it to be fun but not essential. Since you have one and this is your first cook, I would definitely use it. It will be very helpful.

Once you have a number of cooks down, you will find that pork butts are very forgiving. You could overcook it, but due to the fat content, it is hard to do (if you have experience). Brisket is a much tougher cook for "getting it right". So much so, I don’t think many would compare the two in terms of complexity.

Have fun with the probe, do a few of them with it and once you learn, you will likely find you won’t need it for this type of roast.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I always use an internal probe on all big hunks of meat, including pork butts. I generally follow Meathead’s method. I don’t wrap unless I have to in order to get the cook done on time.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    I use the temp probe on my Traeger just to monitor the internal temp via WIFI. Pretty handy.

Leave a comment:

• jsaniga
    commented on 's reply
    I only found one guy who said @ 150 he’ll check the fat to see if it has rendered and then wrap. I am I going Harry Soo mode so the fat cap is on the bottom
    And I’ll spritz every hour. I dry rubbed with Meathead’s pork rub. First time for me, so I am not positive what the right color needs to be. Harry did say that the tenderness seems to exist in the 190-200 degree range after wrapping. Mad Scientist basically said the same.

• radiodome21
    replied
    In my experience you can kind of tell when pork butt is done by touch or buy poking it with a thermometer. I always hear them say it should soft as butter on some videos.

Personally I would at least want a thermometer to know what my cooker temperature is especially if I’m using my WSM.

Leave a comment:

• SierraBBQGuy
    replied
    No reason NOT to use, many just smoke to color, before they wrap, if they wrap. You eventually need to probe the meat for done tender. I always use thermometer, just so I know where I’m at, but I wrap when color is correct, never at a particular temp.

Leave a comment:

• jsaniga
    started a topic Any reason to NOT use a continuous temp probe on a pork but?

Any reason to NOT use a continuous temp probe on a pork but?

Doing my first pork butt today. Watched a few videos and it seems the "pros" never used an internal temperature probe when doing pork butts. Reasons? Or just preference?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here