Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM and pork shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM and pork shoulder

All right, everyone. What is the consensus on cooker temp when doing pork shoulder in the WSM? It takes forever if you don't crutch. Thanks in advance.

I do mine at 275.

Comment

275-300 and it comes out great. I don’t see any reason to turn it into an overnight ordeal.

Comment

Yeah. I suspect the pork won't care if I turn up the temp.

I need a nap.

Comment

I betcha u have an oven too, after u get a nice bark on it. Don’t lose sleep. Plenty of work arounds. Just keep it a secret!

Comment

I'm with everyone else. I let it start around 250 and then will raise it up to 275 after a few hours.

Comment

• Rfhd69
              Rfhd69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea that 👆

I like my pork in my WSM around 275 and the beer in my hand cold.

Comment

I’ve been known to push my WSM up to 300 or so for pork shoulder, although most times I let it run 250-275

Comment

There are so many videos on youtube for pork butt, enough to make my head swim.
                You will do good. PBR good I'm sure.

Comment

For the longest time, I was a 250F guy. But after cooking on a PBC, I've learned that higher temps can get it done just as well. So, I like to run my pork butts to 275 to 300F. When I wrap them, I bump it up to 325F if I'm pushed for time. There are times though, a long cook without wrapping is fun.

Comment

Yeah I've been in the 250-275 club since I've owned a WSM. I used to only have a PBC so I was more in the 300 club at that point. Both turn out really well. I think the most important things to consider are that you get a bark you're looking for and don't wrap until then, as well as a nice long rest. I typically take my wrapped pork butt out of the cooker and throw it right into the oven. I actually pre-heat the oven to 200 and when the butt comes off the smoker I turn the oven off. That way the butt has a nice gradual cool down and rest. Comes out great every time

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here