Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunsaker rib hanger for 22 wsm?’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunsaker rib hanger for 22 wsm?’s

So, my wife for Christmas last year bought me a bunch of cool things for my 22wsm. I have neglected to use most of them at all. Just a big cooker that is not efficient compared to running my 26 kettle for just my wife and I, even for a hand full of ribs. However I have this perfectly good rib hanger, and I have the vortex with the charcoal pail. I am going to cook this weeks 4 racks on it jut to start getting a lesson in operating it. To figure out just how many ways I could start using this in a shorter cook scenario. But, have to start with cook #1 first. From my one memory of the Hunsaker vortex with the pail for a cooking system, it gets hot, and you are not cooking it down without taking apart the cooker apart. That was without a water pan. Will the water pan fix that for me? Any tips to get me started in the general right thought process will be good. Im assuming you are hanging them all the way to the finish. "It seems" as if you can learn to manage this, this can comfortable hang 15 plus or minus racks ribs.

I just cooked some chickens a couple of days ago using the Hunsaker hanger and vortex. The vortex sits up so high, I'm not sure I would attempt putting the water pan in there. One of the good things about the vortex is it blocks the drippings from falling directly onto the charcoal.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      What does a 250 degree set up for say 6 hours look like for you? 1/3 basket of charcoal? 2 - 3 decent chunks of wood, how many coals to start up? My first cook with that vortex and basket got out of control for me in temps, and I just have not tried it again.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 17, 2021, 09:00 AM.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have the 22" WSM. If I'm just doing a 6 hour cook at around 250, I use the regular charcoal ring that came with it, and empty water pan in as a heat deflector. I'm a relative newbie with the WSM, and still learning. So, there's probably a better way. I'll let those with more experience chime in.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is my other thought, I even got to thinking that I should maybe buy a charcoal ring off of a 18 wsm for these smaller set ups. I just feel the piling of coals for such a small cook, might benefit for the tighter hold. I think I may even just run the pail with out the vortex on top of it. I’m used to running that for the big cooks, playing around with lesser size and quantity, I’m a noob. I think I need a LSG cabinet. 😜

Don't know anything about the Hunsaker vortex, but suppose it's the same as the one I got from Island BBQ.
    I have smoked many racks on my WSM 22" using the hanger. I always use the water pan---never a vortex. My suggestion is that you switch the racks half way through so that the same end isn't closest to the fire the whole cook. Good cooking and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here