Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging chicken

Some how or another my chicken throne grew legs and wandered off. Vertical roastings chicken in the pellet pooper has been my go to method for quite awhile now. However, without a throne for the chicken to set upon, I needed to switch things up. I've had the hanging ring from Hunsakers and a thingamabob made for hanging chickens and such for a few months now, so I figured it was a good time to give them a try. So, out came the racks, and the water pan, and in went the hanging ring. Started things up with a good half a chimney of Kingsford Pro. Tossed a hand full of small cherry chunks in with the 10 hour dry brined chicken after the cooker temp settled in at 375°. All in all, it was a pretty straightforward cook, and the end result was good. The basic pepper and garlic rub worked well. Could have used a few less chunks of wood, but I was happy with it as a first attempt. The skin had a decent crisp to it while the meat was just as juicy as I get from the pooper. At the end of the day the quality was as good as my regular pooper cook, but with more effort. So, once I get a new throne to perch the bird on, I think the poultry hanger will be headed to long term storage. I was really bad about getting pics, so that's how this ended up here instead of SUWYC.
    ​ ​
    Attached Files

Sounds good but no pics.

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Umm.... There are 2 of them on my screen.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Now they’re showing up.

I love hanging chickens. I usually cut them in half for more even cooking but get pretty much the same results. My favorite way to cook them by far.

Comment

I prefer to hang the breast end up so the legs and thighs get to 170-180° by the time the breast is at 155-160°. I almost always split the birds, dry brine under the skin with a salt-containing rub as well as sprinkling the skin with a mixture of that same rub with a bit of baking powder.

Kathryn

Comment

The question is did ya Hang 'em HIgh?

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to, but then I realized that in fact, I did feel lucky. It didn't matter to me if the results were good, bad, or ugly.
        Last edited by willxfmr; August 12, 2021, 05:02 PM.

I have the same setup I use for my WSM 22". Turns out just like PBC chicken. I would never go to all that trouble (and charcoal) for one bird, though.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        What I got out of it was that it is more work to get results that are no better than what I can do on the pellet pooper.

This is the best way to cook a bird, IMHO. Great move.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the hanging chicken over charcoal is better than my pellet cooks for sure. IMHO. Super hot.....400 F. willxfmr

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I go 375° on my pooper with a smoke tube packed with either hickory or cherry chips. Turns out a darned good chicken.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I do not doubt that. I get very good results with the poopers I have too. I just love that magic that happens with the chicken fat hitting that live fire, vaporizing and coating the surface of the chicken on my PBC.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here