Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM water bowel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM water bowel

Can you explain to me how you keep the water bowel from oiling/greasing over when smoking on the lower rack ?

If your running water just let it go, when it cools down you can scoop it out, or just foil the water bowl if your running it dry, I leave a space between the foils and bowl.

Comment

Wrap that pan in foil if you run it wet or dry. Line the inside and cover the outside. Two layers at least. Makes clean up a snap.

Comment

Just Can't Beat Al. Foil!!

Comment

I thought that the grease would keep the water from vaporizing.

Comment

Oh got it. No it wont. Your good. It will steam away.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'll quit worrying about it and get back to smoking

Comment

One technique is to pile lava rocks into the water bowl. They wick water into the air and break the surface. Another is to put a drip pan beneath the meat above the water pan.

Comment

• mackdaddy
                mackdaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                The voice of reason.

Water bowel? Sounds crappy

Comment

Got me to "click" on it.

Comment

The foil lining should be on the bowl wet or dry. If you have a long smoke and a lot of drippings go down in the water, don't let the water run dry. It will be like the foil was never there. I've got two 22 inch WSM and the bowls on both show a lot of wear and tear, and I use foil every time. This is especially true if you use a rub with sugar or add sugar (apple juice) to the water.

Comment

I follow the Harry Soo suggestion and double line my WSM water bowl with extra heavy duty aluminum foil. I peel the top layer off after the cook and reline. I get a great smoke ring without any water in the cooking chamber. I do spritz often with a 50/50 solution of apple juice and water.

Comment

Use foil even with water. It's been stated above but needs to be re-stated. I have a 14.5 WSM and this little cooker cranks out steam when water is in the bowl, so much so that bark won't develop while it's steaming. But I LOVE how that much humidity affects the cook. So, I typically only fill it half way so that the cooking chamber is extremely humid early, which helps apply smoke, but dries out later which helps develop bark. Harry Soo develops bark first and then spritzes. He wins competitions with his method so I won't second guess it. However, my 'reverse Soo' - similar philosophy to the reverse sear - has produced really good results and I don't have to lift the lid of the smoker during the cook so that I can spritz.

Comment

• Meathead
                        Meathead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm with you. We know moisture attracts smoke and water in the pan condenses on the meat without spritzing.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here