Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing some WSM upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing some WSM upgrades

I decided the rather than replacing my pellet smoker th got mashed in the Great Texas Ice Storm that I would get a fan for Fireboard and use my 18.5 WSM.

After a couple of top vent adjustments yesterday it ran 12hrs @ 225 with water in the pan and then the battery died. I’m very pleased. So I figure it’s time to add some tweeks to the WSM. I have some felt gasket layin around and figure that the door is the largest leak. My question is, should I put the gasket on the door or on the smoker? The individual rings are greasy enough now that they seal pretty well.

I replaced my stock door with the Cajun Bandit door. Once it got some good smoke and gunk on it, I really haven’t had an issue with door after that. If I still had stock door, I think I’d put the gasket on the body and make the door work around that.

Comment

• TxF
      TxF commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the gasket so I want to put that to use before I buy something else. Being a cheap skate means I can put my name on the wait list for a Lone Star Grillz pellet smoker sooner.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      TxF for sure. Not suggesting go buy the door. Just noting that improving the door seal, one way or another, is a good thing. When I first got my WSM I could not hold temps easily and I had a lot of problems with very high temps. I believe this is because the door acts as a second chimney, so you draw way too much air through the fire chamber. Definitely seal it. You will use less charcoal, maintain temps better, move the air in the cook chamber the way you should.

I put the gasket on the barrel along the sides and the top and added the gasket to the bottom of the door where it slips in to the barrel. It seals it up pretty well

Comment

• TxF
      TxF commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering about putting a strip on the bottom of the door, I’ll have to add that.

I went the cheap route and sealed all the edges around my door with metal tape. I never use the door, ever.

Comment

I recently added the gasket to the top as well as the door (have the Cajun Bandit) one. Amazing how well it seals up.

Comment

• TxF
        TxF commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought about sealing the lid, it’s the only place besides vent that smoke gets out.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here