Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM gasket kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM gasket kit.

Well I bought the kit through the link form this site and I ordered the gasket kit and the hinge kit for the WSM 22 1/2". After I received them I looked for others info for any tips or tricks on installing the gaskets. Didn't really find to much at the time except noted a few had problems with the gasket for the bottom and center piece connection. I finally figured that the only feasible way to install this gasket was to put it bottom of the center section, seemed most places said to put it on the top of the bottom section.

So looking at hsi set-up I thought that it would maybe be a bit difficult to join the two sections as I did not see as much of a gap as the gasket and silicone would make. I read where a couple people stretched the gasket at this section as much as possible to make a thinner connection. I read this after I installed the gasket .

Well the door and top gasket work really well but no mater how much I tried I could not gt the middle section onto the bottom section. After contemplating a while I decided that The only solution was to remove the bottom gasket. It came off pretty easily and left the silicone on the section with the slightest fuzz. Knowing the WSM is still pretty new I knew I could take the silicone off without damaging the finish.

Before I took off the silicone I put the two pieces together and , thats right you guessed it, they fit together nice and snug. I have used the smoker twice since I put the gaskets on. I have seen no leaking like I did before so it seems to be working and the last smoke....my first last meal ribs........you can see I was able to control the temps pretty easily.

So I would say if you get the gaskets, that on the bottom of the middle section just apply the silicone in a nice even thin coat and you will be ready to go.

Now just to get the nerve to drill some holes and install the lid hinge .

Thanks, Rick

I bought the hinge and lid kit, but never put it on. The smoke leaking a little here and there didn't bother me. I seem to need more heat more often than i need ablosute seals so I can choke the fire down.

Drill those holes so you can tell me if the lid hinge is worth the effort!

Have fun

Comment

I just installed some gaskets on my buddies WSM. No Leaks what so ever now. Although I forgot to order the new latch for the door, so I am waiting on that right now. But that thing is sealed up tight. He just did a double chicken cook the other day in some pretty windy conditions, and the temp stay steady at 250 F with no yo-yoing temps. Looks like the gaskets have done their job.

Comment

I have found that after a few cooks that my WSM didn't leak at all after it got some seasoning on the inside. My kettle is a totally different story. Have to use binder clips on those

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here