Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM owners- help me answer this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM owners- help me answer this

A person on the main AR site wants to know roughly how long the 22" WSM will maintain temps w/o reloading coals, ballpark. Obviously this varies with chosen temps, but let's say 225ish.

Thanks

I have exceeded 12 hours running between 225-250 in mine without adding any more charcoal. I fill the charcoal ring nearly to the top using a little less than a full bag.

Comment

Thanks Zman23, I'll pass this on! Just confirming this in the big 22" one?

Comment

• Zman23
        Zman23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Huskee, 22" using minion method.

If you Minion, nearly a full 20 pound bag will go in, and I've kept temps for 18 hours. A few hours in, you have to really choke the vents back to keep the temps in line.

I switched to Fuse Method, and not load as much coal in there (at or below the level of the ring) so I can keep the vents open more, cleaner fire & better smoke ring, but the downside is I have to add fuel around hour 9.

Fun Fun Fun!

Comment

I only have the wimpy 14.5 so I can't help with this. Don't get me wrong though, the 14.5 is one hell of a cooker.

Comment

18 hours full basket, donut style lighting.

Comment

My has been collecting dust for over a year now but it has went 12+ hrs on a butt cook.
            Last edited by DWCowles; August 11, 2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, when you have a Lang I am sure a WSM has much less appeal.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly!! LOL

I have gotten 12 hours. Add a guru and you can probably go longer.

Comment

I've done 18hr with a full 20lb bag using the minion method and a guru on my 22"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here