Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steal of a Deal on a timeless Classic cooker.

(I'm down to only 3 18.5" WSM's, at present...)

Comment

Great find! Can't wait to see pics of the food that rolls off it.

Comment

I have the Arbor Fabricating coal basket/minion starter. It is a pretty great product. I used to use just the minion method-spread a lit chimney over the coals in the wsm ring. The minion basket gives a longer burn time since the lit coals are concentrated in the center burning outward if that makes sense:

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I just read where their basket for the wsm22 fits the Summit Charcoal, nice multitasker.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          This makes total sense to me. I don't have to have total precision with a WSM type setup, but I hate the idea of just haphazardly dumping a bunch of lit coals on top of the unlit ones. I have toyed with the idea of just cutting both ends out of a large can and placing that in the center, dumping the lit coals in that, and then removing the can. But now I see that this thing exists and I kind of want one. And the Arbor Fab charcoal ring.
          Last edited by Steve R.; April 10, 2021, 09:04 AM.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. that is what I wanted to do with the can, but I couldn't find a large enough metal coffee can, and I didn't want to but a huge can of green beans or pork and beans. Would have been cheaper, but hey, I am an AR member. We don't do cheap lol

Steve R. You can do the donut method without the kit from Arbor or a can. It’s the only way I light my WSM. Fill the charcoal ring. Then pull out 25 briquettes to light. Form a hole in the center. Dump your lit briquettes in the hole. Of course, getting some gear to make it easier/getter will help with your MCS a bit. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0288613-8652-499B-AD9B-F8F040B883F9.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1015858

Name:	1A6D7E35-F84E-4263-A333-BC2387B542E3.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1015857

Name:	64993DF1-9C5B-4BD4-89EA-B1188FA952D8.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	1015856

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course you can do it that way, but where is the fun in that???

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers it sure doesn’t help with the MCS!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I need to pull a butt out of the freezer just so I can use the thing. Your charcoal pics have inspired me lol

You will love it!

Comment

It's cleaning up nicely. It had that rust colored build-up and mold on the inside and grates were pretty gnarly. I used a brush, and elbow grease to get most of it. I'm burning it hit right now and it got up to 412°. I pulled the lid and scraped the food grate, again, oiled it heavily, flipped the grate, and let 'er go.
          I filled the charcoal ring with a mix of lump and KBB to nearly overflowing. Fired it up 2 1/2 hrs ago. Temp is down to 375 with all vents open. I'm glad that I'm doing this, so I can gauge how long that it will hold higher temps, when the cook warrants.
          This is a rabbit-hole that I'm already enjoying.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here