Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pbc mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pbc mods

Just curious to mods y'all have came up with. I cooked on mine "stock", and other than cracking the lid time to time to intensify the bark, it cooks awesome on its own. However, I'm one that firmly believes that good enough is never good enough, so I'm interested in ideas. I saw the great grate idea. Ingenious. I'm thinking about installing a couple of grommets for temp probes instead of having to use the rebar holes. Wondering what else can be done with these great cookers to make them even better. Thanks y'all

I first put dual 1/2" stacks to create more flow when cooking 4+ briskets or 3 pork butts, or some combo of the two.

I then realized I could get more sleep when they stalled (or just plain sweatin' da heat), if I rigged up a pipe for an Auber fan. Works great, keeps at 250 with a FULL barrel.

Comment

• Stevehtn
      Stevehtn commented
      Editing a comment
      Where on the barrel did you install the stacks?

I'm thinking of drilling a hole on each side, 90 degrees from the existing rebar holes. That way I can load my PBC with chickens and still have some holes to play with when I need to keep the temps up--instead of cracking the lid. I'd use ceramic magnets to cover the holes and/or to add another rebar for extra loadability when possible and necessary.

Kathryn

Comment

• Stevehtn
      Stevehtn commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like an interesting idea.

I did 1/2" but I think 3/4" would do better. That is what Spinaker did with his. I also need to get a little welder so I can weld the outside b/c they got very loose with the move.

I also have 12" extensions on top of what is in the pic. Get a little more draft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	apbcook5.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	100130

Comment

Question. Why are the stack that tall? Does it create a bigger pull or draft of air?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        mackdaddy yes, chimney affect. I started with just one pipe and no extension and it really didn't do much.

Nice. I like the idea of being able to increase airflow without cracking the lid, so there's not as much precious smoke and humidity lost. Also I lost my hook puller, so here's an idea for everyone......take a 1" dowel rod, cut it into 3 sections, get 3 screw in eyes so you will have 3 pullers, and then get 3 screw in hooks for the other ends. This allows you to hang your puller on the handles of the pbc. I like the 1" dowel because it gives me much more to grip when pulling a heavy brisket or butt.

Comment

Also I thought about getting a flat piece of steel, and attaching it to one of the handles to give me a place to stick all my thermometers. Anyone done something similar? Right now I stick em on the big pit since I keep the pbc next to it, but when I do traveling cooks, I take a metal folding chair just to have a place to stick thermometers. Kind of a pain.

Comment

Like this? The DOT has 2 magnets on the back.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Stevehtn
            Stevehtn commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I was thinking of a piece of steel that hangs vertically of the handles, so the sun wouldn't be shining directly on the display.

• Munch
            Munch commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe a piece of flat stock with about a 30 degree angle... You could use a spring clamp to hold it to the handle.

Munch that is one slick barrel, must one of the newer ones.

Comment

• Munch
            Munch commented
            Editing a comment
            Yessir it is.

Stevehtn Here is how I modded my pit barrel and changed it into the "Phantom Smoke Edition" I drilled two 3/4" holes on each side of the PBC. Then welded a 3/4 inch steel elbow on to the barrel over the holes. I welded it because I wanted to make sure that the connection was air tight. I put a ball valve on both elbows so that I could control the air flow in and out as well as seal them off completely. Then I simply screwed in some 7 inch long, 3/4 inch pipe and painted the whole mod in stove black paint. They work great for when I really have her loaded down and I need more draw. They also really come in handy when I am trying to push through the stall or add more bark and need to kick the temps up quickly. This also prevents me from having to fiddle to much with the bottom damper. (i have kinda found my sweet spot with m I would say the pipes are more for fine tuning temp than anything. If you really wanted to get her rolling you could just open the bottom vent more to raise your temps. But the pipes help to keep my bottom damper as is yet still be able to draw more air though the barrel. Let me know if you have any questions.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6104.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	100452 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6103.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	100451
          Attached Files

Comment

• Stevehtn
            Stevehtn commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a sweet setup right there

I like it. A variation on the same consept that Jerod Broussard did. I like the ball valve idea.

Comment

I'll do a much better introductory post soon (I promise! No, really...) but this thread has me wondering: Has anyone played with gasketing the lid?

Best,

-Brandon

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think you need it. Mine seals up tight as can be. After you do about 10 cooks, you will have so much build up on that hog, that is seals it self.

I have a pizza pan under the charcoal basket, (Ash tray). LOL!!!

Comment

• Stevehtn
              Stevehtn commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmmmm, this gives me an idea. Those pizza pans with the holes, that are otherwise absolutely horrendous for pizza, might be fantastic to turn upside down and sit the coal basket on top for more air flow.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too, it works great.

I'm canabalizing my char-broil smoker and taking off the 6 inch smoke stack and going to put it on my PBC. It's about 3 " in diameter. Do I put it on the lid or from the side as others have done? It has a cap on it that can be adjusted for more or less air flow. If on the lid or if I want it on the lid do I put it in the middle or toward the edge?

Comment

• Stevehtn
              Stevehtn commented
              Editing a comment
              Idk that I'd put it on the lid. That'll make it cumbersome to move, albeit more convenient

• mackdaddy
              mackdaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              True, plus it's to big. I think I'm going to come out the sides like Spinaker and Jerod Broussard did. Have to figure a way to do it without having to weld.

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Ask for those threaded conduit washers. That is what I put on each side of the barrel.

Anyone thought about adding one of those computer things that controls the airflow? Curious as to what the result of that would be.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I put an Auber on mine. I'll put pics later this afternoon. They are on here somewhere if you search.

• Stevehtn
              Stevehtn commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet Jerod. Does it control the temp pretty well in the pbc?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here