Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt

Today's cook, 8 1/2 pound pork butt. No crutch, off the grill at 203 degrees. 9 hours.

Yumm

Frank
    Attached Files

Very nice and I concur, dem things are super yummy!!!!

Comment

My neighbor and I must have ate between 1 and 2 pounds just while working in the kitchen. She is not too much of a meat fan but she kept coming back. Only three pounds left.

Comment

I did 3 and 4 pound butts yesterday. 12 hours to hit 196 with no crutch. Cambro for an hour. Best I've done yet by a considerable margin.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          JeffJ , I like your avatar. It looks like a cute little Weber family, all dressed up and ready to get to grillin' 'n smokin'.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like the R2D2 family to me. But that is just me.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. We had a horrible spring here in Michigan and Huskee was nagging me to set up my signature so when we finally had a nice weekend day I cleaned up my Weber charcoal cookers and since I had just received the Kettle Pizza attachment I decided to include it in the picture.

Nice job, Frank ( bergmef ) . I've got a few questions:
        1.What was your average PBC temperature throughout the cook? Looks like it settled in nicely at 260 deg F.
        2. Did you use Kingsford Original?
        3. Was the PB bone-in?

You had swell cook time for that size of a PB. It looks delicious. Those snackey bites with nice bark, stolen while pulling the tender PB into shreds are the best!

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 1, 2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Slow n searing an 8 lb butt roast tomm.... First pulled pork on the #11 sns 😋

Comment

Kathryn (@fzxdoc)

It did settle in around 260 but the first hour or so made me nervous. It seemed to stay in the 300's for the first hour (close to 350) before I finally started to stuff the rebar holes, 2 of them (yes both bars were used), with aluminum foil. When the temp came down to 260ish, I pulled the foil. I was curious to see if the temp would climb out of the 260-280 that I was expecting. When it start to go over 280, I 'foiled' one rebar hole and that is where it stayed. I wanted to see it go through the stall but I was not home. I use igrill for my temp monitoring and it has a flaw. While it works fine while I'm there, there is no data when my phone is out of reach. I emailed them yesterday and asked if they were planning a version with a RAM chip so it would store the data and the next time in range it would sync and keep going. No response yet (it was Sunday).

Saturday was more ribs and I did my first chicken. Cut the chicken in half like the video, dry rub under the skin and ran the PBC with one bar out and the lid cracked (to keep 325 as my temp).

I really am enjoying this thing.

Comment

Frank, ( bergmef ), thank you for the additional information. I love smoking PBs on my PBC.

When I smoked a brisket yesterday, my temp kept climbing as well. It sounded just like your cook--I foiled the rebars for over half of the 7 hour cook. I knew what the problem was, though. On each suspicious temp climb, I'd go to check and would see wispy smoke coming out from under my lid in the exact area where the seam of the barrel is, between the rebars on the side opposite from the PBC metal plaque. There is a small dimple in the inside edge of the rim there. I had to pound down my lid in that area with my fist after each check of the meat to get the temp to come back down in the 270-280 range.

That wispy smoke coming out at the rim was very hard to see. I temporarily draped a towel over the rebars to block the smoke coming from those holes, and then I would see it.

The minute I pounded down the lid, the temp would drop.

It was a mild day here yesterday--no humidity and in the high 70s, but my PBC ran hotter than normal. As an experiment, I had overfilled the coal basket, anticipating a long cook with that brisket, and at first thought the higher temps were due to that. But I think the culprit is the rim, which I will clean today.

I bet that chicken was yummy yum yum. What rub did you use?

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc

Kathryn

I used the pit barrel game rub on one half and Memphis dust on the other (with some salt). I worked as much as I could under the skin. I wanted to compare the two but it didn't work out, they ate the chicken too fast. I should have done two chickens. With the ribs and then hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill, I didn't think about getting my portions first. Next time.

My lid isn't tight. When I seat it, I can shift it left and right a little. I try to clean that edge and the inside of the lid after each time I cook when I'm doing cleanup.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here