Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings on the PBC for the BIG GAME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings on the PBC for the BIG GAME

All,
    I'm planning on doing some smoked wings for the big game this weekend. Now I usually do them in the oven and they come out great. I've got that process all down. I'm about to venture out to my PBC and smoke us some wings because I think that'll just be GREAT this weekend.

I've watched a video with Malcom Reed and he did an experiment with corn starch and some spices. He put the wings in a bag with the starch and shook them up "shake and bake" style and then smoked them. It looked and sounded like those wings had a better crunch and skin than just non treated wings.

Anyone do this? got any tips? How hot should I do these? Should I do them like a half chicken and just go hot and fast? About how long do they take?

Thanks so much for the tips!!

I have not done wings in the PBC. (or the kettle. Mrs H has a thing against wings)
    But I would pull both rebar to jack up the temps.

Comment

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing. Thanks!
      I'm also thinking of starting with a bigger fire, but I know it won't take long for these guys to get done, probably in the realm of 45 minutes if the temps reach 400 plus

I've found the PBC performs excellently with poultry. Run it hot enough and it gets nice, crispy skin!

Comment

I'll be cooking baby back ribs on my PBC for the Super Bowl.

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah I'm doing some ribs in the next couple of days on my PBC. I got an 18 WSM from facebook marketplace for $40, a steal. Never used one but I think I'm going to try a pork butt on it this weekend as well.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        As will we.

I use a Vortex and run as hot as my Kettle will go. The dome thermo usually reads between 450° and 500°, so if you subtract 50°, that's the temp range. It taskes 40 to 42 min at those temps and the skin always comes out crispy.

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. That's pretty much exactly what happened in the video.
        On the PBC, if I leave the lid off for a bit longer I can get the temps up screaming hot, about the same temps as you mentioned.
        Thanks for the tips!

In addition to pulling the rebar, you might want to crack the lid a bit. I'd do a test run prior to the game. I just might try this myself. I normally use a vortex on my kettle.

Comment

I almost forgot. It's gonna take a lot of tiny hangers to do wings though...

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I use diaper pins.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John - yours I assume, but please wash them first.
          Last edited by RonB; February 5, 2021, 06:22 PM.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂

Best thing for wings in the PBC is to put a cinder block in the bottom of the barrel and elevate the coal basket. Then put the grate on top.

Comment

• jitsntricks
          jitsntricks commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!
          When you say "put the grate on top" do you mean just where the grate normally goes? So basically you're just elevating the charcoal, correct?

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly.

I've done "fried" chicken in the PBC. Buttermilk brine, coat in flour/cornstarch dredge and cook with no rebars. Turned out really well but likely wouldn't do that for wings. Can find the post somewhere on this site!

I wouldn't do that to wings as I don't like my wings coated in any kind of dredge. On the PBC, i cooked them nekkid after an overnight uncovered dry brine and then finish for ~2 min over direct heat on my gasser before tossing with sauce

Comment

We are supposed to have a high 1 Fahrenheit, that’s a bazillion below for those in Celsiousville. I’m mulling over what to cook the big game day. Considering peanut butter & jelly on Ezekiel bread.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Peppermint Patty Cocktail
            Ingredients
            2 packages (1 oz each) instant cocoa mix
            1/2 cup crème de cacao
            1/4 cup peppermint schnapps
            1/4 cup cognac
            Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
            Chocolate shavings, if desired

1 Make cocoa mix as directed on package, using water instead of milk. In a small bowl, stir together crème de cacao, schnapps, and cognac; stir into hot cocoa.
            2 Pour mixture evenly into 4 Irish coffee glasses. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          I use a Vortex and run as hot as my Kettle will go. The dome thermo usually reads between 450° and 500°, so if you subtract 50°, that's the temp range. It taskes 40 to 42 min at those temps and the skin always comes out crispy.
          I love cooking chicken wings on my 22" Kettle with Vortex. However, I've noticed that in windy winter weather, the grate temperatures in the thinly-walled Kettle don't get (and maintain) nearly as high temperatures as I can get in Spring/Summer/Fall. And I hate that. After all, I love to cook chicken wings in the winter too.

For this reason, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kamado Joe ceramic cooker. The thick ceramic insulation keeps temps high and steady in any weather conditions. Unlike my Kettle.

Of course, the price is very high, compared to the Kettle. So I will continue to chug along with my Kettle in winter wind, but will eventually "pull the trigger" on a Kamado Joe ceramic cooker.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Some folks here use welding blankets to insulate their cookers in winter. Harbor Freight has 'em cheap.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a Vortex in my WSCGC for wings when it's cold outside. Works great, winter or summer.

Kathryn

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Another thought is to add small chunks of wood to the lit coals so they can burn. I have done that makin' pizza in the Kettle and can get well over 700° that way.

(2) Game Day BBQ with Matt Pittman of Meat Church BBQ - YouTube
          Traeger Kitchen Live with Matt Pittman covers wings for game day. Does a great job covering wings and other things too.
          Enjoy, and Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

I did PBC wings once. Lit it per the 15/10/10 method popular here, and left the rebar out. They went 45 min, then were sauced and went back on for 10 more. A couple of things I’d suggest:
            • definitely flip them or the undersides will be way too charred
            • I’d also rotate the grate... the PBC gets hot spots, and if you notice the wings at about 5 o’clock in my pic, they’re a bit charred especially compared to the rest because they sat over a hot spot
            It’s been a couple of years, but my notes say they were pretty tasty, and next time I’d cook them for a total of 45 min (including setting any sauce). Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CFE8AF2-0BDE-4594-90F5-D492B22CBB4D.jpeg
Views:	622
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	985322

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              ..., ..., ...!

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP this pandemic has prevented me from visiting my old ... but my 80 year old mom cranked out 3 racks of baby backs on it yesterday! Dads job is to prep and light the ... and get out of the way, mom does the rest. 😂

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to hear its being used as a cooker and not a birdbath. lol ..., ..., ...!
              Last edited by HawkerXP; February 7, 2021, 07:53 AM.

I love wings on the PBC. Crispy on the outside, moist and juicy on the inside. I run B&B oak lump and start with both rebars in. Pull rebars and crack the lid as necessary to keep her running 300+. 45 minutes to an hour should do it

Go for it! You will love them!

Here’s my last batch:

Name:	348CAD36-33F2-478F-8885-A88E1BD0B058.jpeg
Views:	614
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	985964

Name:	91A806AB-6F1F-498E-9112-01866BA79731.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	985965
            Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE:
              So they came out pretty darn good! I used a seasoned corn starch to coat the wings, then flipped them at 20 minutes. 25 minutes later I took them off and they were crispy and great!
              I had to split the batch up because there wasn't enough room on my PBC for all the wings I prepared. I cooked the other half like I normally do in the oven @ 450 for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through. Those turned out great as well. I think a good corn starch coating is the trick here with crispy wings!
              Thank you all for the tips! They all came in handy and are much appreciated!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here