Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is up with the PBC spatchcockery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is up with the PBC spatchcockery?

So my question is, on the PBC why even go spatchcock? The PBC frees you from that style.

I'd do this on my gas grill, heck... on my dad's Weber kettle and it made sense with what you have to work with. But for quite some time, both on here and other sites, PBC folks are using the spatchcock method which doesn't make sense with how the hooks work.

Some go traditional spatch on the grate and others hook each side and hang it. As far as the grate, a hook is easier to clean, allows more room and flexibility, and for those hooking each side of the spatchcock - don't you have to cut the bird up at the end anyway?

Curious, not trying to kick the hornets nest....

Depends on the situation. I’ve cooked whole, spatchcock and chicken halves on the PBC. Spatchcock or chicken halves cook quicker than a whole chicken. Although if I was going to spatchcock, I’d likely just split the chicken in half. It also makes serving easier to have it split or spatchcocked.

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      Just cooked a couple birds today. I halved and hung them. I have also cooked them on the grate. Hanging is easier to clean later. I do wonder if they are better hanging in the barrel
      with the swirling heat than on the grate on the top? That is what the PBC was designed for, but not sure if I noticed a difference.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark V - I will always hook/hang if possible. All whole/half chicken I made have been hung. Only time I use the grate is if I’m doing individual pieces of chicken

I like to cut them in half and hang them.
    it works pretty well.

Probably other ways to cook those birds, but this one works for me.

Comment

I halve the chickens that I hang and cook in the PBC, mostly because I usually cook two or more chickens at a time, along with a hanging rack of sausages, so halved chickens fit better, leaving more room between each other.

Plus I'm guessing that the cooking might more even than with a whole chicken, but I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons to prove that.

Turkeys are always spatchcocked for the PBC though.

Kathryn

Comment

I like to cut them in half and hang, my reasoning is I get rub on more surfaces. 🤷‍♂️
        The PBC is a chicken cooking machine.

Comment

I hook them whole! Two at a time!

Comment

I've never hung a spatchcocked chicken intact, I halve or quarter them.

Comment

I halve the chicken by cutting out the backbone and cutting through the center of the breast bone as a rule in the PBC. Once just to see how it would go, I spatchcocked them and hung using two hooks, both through the breast just below the bone. I found that hanging with two hooks made it somewhat more difficult to remove the hooks from the rebars. One always seemed to get hung up. As far as taste, I could not tell the difference.

Comment

I've just recently spatchcock chickens on thy PBC. Mainly just for the experience. With that said, I prefer hanging halves.

Comment

I usually cut them in half. Next chickens I do, I’m going to try them whole on my new skewers. Anyone done them that way?

Comment

• cashelton
                    cashelton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did this once and that was enough for me.

I found the skewers harder to work with for whole chickens than the turkey hanger. The bottom of the skewers started to bend from the weight of the chicken. The skewers also position the chicken deeper in the barrel.

Now, I just use hooks...1 for halved chicken, 2 for whole.

• Soonerpop
                    Soonerpop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you.

I only use the grate when I do beer can chicken.

Comment

• kill2grill
                    kill2grill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unless your version of beer can chicken is you put the chicken on the grate and drink the beer, not sure how all that is fitting with the clearance between the grate and the lid?

• JimLinebarger
                    JimLinebarger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    kill2grill Consider it tongue in cheek. I don't do beer can chicken.

Some people just don’t like to be free. It’s a mental programming thing.

Comment

I just cut the chicken in half and then I hang both sides. It works great. I don know if I have even used the grate in my PBC, that I can recall anyway.

Comment

OK, I will speak up for Spatchcocking and hanging. I have an Oklahoma Joe UDS and practice this. Frankly I like the internal access for the rub and how easy it is to carve afterwards. But that is just me apparently.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here