Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on getting spatchcock chicken skin crispy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When spatchcocking I blast them at 400F or higher. As above, I also dry brine for at least overnight, two days is fine. Whole briefs don’t cook through that quickly so I run those 325-350.

there are some recipes that call for a low cook (225) and a hot finish direct over coals. That makes for excellent meat but I’ve never got that to work without burning or ripping off the skin.

Comment

Lots of comments and I did not read them all. Crisp skin is a function of time and temp. When you spatchcock a bird, you reduce the cookin' time, so you need to raise the temp to compensate. I routinely cook chix as hot as the grill will go and that's normally north of 400°. I get great skin this way. If you are a bit nervous with a temp this high, just cook a few pieces to test it.

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, that's a good tip! Thank you!

We absolutely LOVE barrel chicken, cook it often. I also dry brine ~24 hours under and on the skin. I tried adding baking powder once, and although the skin was crispier we could all taste it just enough that it wasn’t worth it. After reading thru all of the posts a couple of questions came to mind...

1) For those cooking north of 350, I’m guessing there’s no sugar in your rub? I think if you’re using something like MMD you need to be careful or you’ll scorch it, right?

2) I came across this video on spatchcocking on these forums at some point in time. If I was cooking it on my kettle I think I’d prep it just as he does, but I’m hanging 1/2 chickens so I don’t remove the ribs and breast bone since I’m relying on them to support the bird. But what was interesting (and relevant to the question) is he scores the bird "for crispy skin" (see very end of the video). This made sense to me since I also read on here somewhere that the biggest issue we have to overcome to achieve crispy skin is the layer of fat just under the skin. Seems scoring would allow some of that to cook off better. I tried this last time, but only on one half... it LOOKED a little crispier but that half was gone before I got a bite lol. FWIW I did cut down to the leg & thigh bones and get more rub down in there, and they said they liked that better. I usually hang 2 birds at a time, next time at least one whole bird I plan to try like that. Anyway... what do the experts say - is there anything to that scoring? Or do we just end up with an uglier yardbird?

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        I typically hang halves as well but never thought about scoring the skin. That definitely would be a good way to render that fat under the skin. Although most of my family doesn't really like the skin, it bugs me not having a prefect bird 😂

Looking forward to seeing the scored skin!

I, also, just hang the half birds in the PBC (PBC, PBC PBC). Sometimes I'll put them on with the ribs to cook, you know, two birds, one stone. The skin doesn't get as crispy, so I'll fire up the gasser and put them on the grillgrates for a few minutes. Seems to do the job.
      I've also hit the skin with a blow torch -- which is great to get into those hard to reach places -- but easy to over do.

I have read where people prick the skin with a safety pin to get a crispier skin. I've not tried it, but the logic goes along with the idea that scoring helps get the skin crispy. I may try it on the next birds I do.
      Last edited by BFlynn; January 20, 2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I use corn starch in the rub. You can also pre grill start the first 45 minutes skin side towards the heat. Dry brine uncovered in the fridge also helps to start with a dry skin.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          While reading this I wondered about corn starch?
          I cook PBC chickens hot and it is a hit and miss with bite through skin. Dry brine at lest 24 hours ahead is a must. I have tried baking powder and do get an off taste. But corn starch??? Hmmmmmm???

Corn starch has worked great for me

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here