Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan Port w/o Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Port w/o Fan

Does the PBC perform identically with the fan port installed with no fan inserted as when it is unmodified and set per elevation?

Also, anybody feel like the PBC loses its juju when using a thermostatic controller? The food is good but I feel like it’s missing that PBC magic. Might be in my head.

It depends on what your elevation setting is, but it should be pretty close.

When I installed my adapter, I measured the opening of the port to be almost exactly the same area as the opening, when set for sea level ish.

Comment

jhapka Since a lot of the "PBC magic" is the higher cooking temperatures it reaches, with fat dripping and vaporizing on hot charcoal, I do think running it at 225 or 250 with a fan controller is going to lose some of the magic you see with the PBC just "doing its thing". You will have results closer to a UDS or other vertical smoker running at 225, without a water pan or deflector.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 I don't run less than 250. Afraid it might produce bad smoke. But I run 225 in the kettle so not sure my reasoning is sound.

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        I noticed this on some chickens that I did at 350. Like I said might be in my head

I've been thinking of doing a rib cook without using my fan for comparison. I'm at sea level. Using the fan is convenient though. My last cook on Sunday was 3 racks of baby backs cooked 3 3/4 hour at 275. The food was good but not as smokey as before (I think).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here