Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC DigiQ/Pit Viper Fan results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC DigiQ/Pit Viper Fan results

I set up the DigiQ Pit Viper fans set up on my PBC a few months ago. Am liking the results, but am noticing that the smoke ring that I'm getting is not as defined on my ribs. Cook times are a bit longer than before. I set if for 275. Anyone else experiencing this?

In terms of cooking time, what temp were you running before?

For smoke ring, are you taking the meat straight from the fridge to the PBC?

Honestly, if you're happy with how the ribs are tasting, I wouldn't worry about the time, or smoke ring.

Last edited by BFlynn; January 18, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

If you can't be with BBQ love, love the BBQ you're with.
      I heard a little/small amount of pink salt or celery seeds added to seasoning rub may help smoke rings.
      You know "fake it until you make it".
      BBQing/cooking is time vs temp or was that temp vs time. I kind of forget in my old age.
      I smoked some pork chops thinking they would take about an hour, nope, it was closer to two. My pellet grill was running at 190-205*F instead of 225-250*F. My bad and mama was not happy it took so long. "You should have started it earlier," she said; my reply "It will be done when it's done!" And that friends, was the topic at the dinner table no matter how many topic diversion I tried.

Comment

BFlynn nailed it. If it tastes good then you are good. You can force a smoke ring but it doesn't mean the food is there. Sure it is nice, but just because a steak has nice cross hatching doesn't mean it is cooked to where you like it.*

*I'd hope it would because it would make things easier — but really you should pay attention to the fact that every time a steak is cooked above medium rare the terrorists win, an angel loses a wing, and some one is notified about theircolonoscopy appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by BFlynn View Post
          In terms of cooking time, what temp were you running before?

For smoke ring, are you taking the meat straight from the fridge to the PBC?

Honestly, if you're happy with how the ribs are tasting, I wouldn't worry about the time, or smoke ring.
          Temps I've cooked at before using the Pit Viper and DigiQ ran 265-290. I got tired of cracking the lid when temps dropped below 250.

The ribs did not go from fridge to smoker. They sat out or more than an hour.

They tasted great, but not as smokey as before.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoke sticks to cold things better.

Go straight from the fridge to the PBC and see if you get a better smoke ring

Not sure about the smoke ring but the times will be longer since the PBC fluctuates between about 270 and 325+ normally. Might want to add some smoke wood if you are not already doing that. I had a few chunks to get a more smoky flavor.
          Last edited by JimLinebarger; January 19, 2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Thomassen
            Thomassen commented
            Editing a comment
            I put in 4 small chunks of post oak.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here