Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another brisket cook

Brisket is quickly becoming one of my favorite barbecue meats... I have always tended towards pork with my 'cue, but as I keep using the PBC, I am finding myself wanting to do brisket more often. This was another brisket flat, about 5 lbs. I closed my intake vent on the PBC by a tiny amount, and found temps to hold really nicely around 280 throughout the cook. The brisket stalled in the 160s about 4 hours in, so I wrapped and put back on the grate. About an hour in half in the cooler once the meat hit around 200-204. For whatever reason, this was the best yet. You can't quite see from the pic, but it was crazy juicy. Not as incandescent as some previous smoke rings, but the flavor was there. Someday I want to try a whole packer, but these smallish flats are coming out so nice, and in time for dinner!

Good looking brisket... great job

Comment

• mayapoppa
      mayapoppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I love this stuff...

Nice striations.

Comment

Looks great, is that a Montreal rub?

Comment

• mayapoppa
        mayapoppa commented
        Editing a comment
        No, just the BBBR. What's a Montreal rub? I love that town, curious what their signature rub would be... seems like it would include maple!

Looks great! Makes me wanna throw one on this weekend... Did a chuckie last weekend (zoned out and didn't take pics) due to someone posting pics.

Comment

• mayapoppa
        mayapoppa commented
        Editing a comment
        Makes me want to throw another one on this weekend!

Montreal Seasoning, from Wikipedia
      is a spice mix used to flavour steak and grilled meats that was based on the pickling dry-rub mix used in preparing Montreal smoked meat.[1]The smoked meat seasoning is derived from pickling mixes used in Eastern Europe or Romanian Jewish cuisine. The primary constituents of Montreal steak seasoning include garlic, coriander, black pepper, Cayenne pepper flakes, dill seed, and salt.[2][3] The spice mix recipe varies slightly among restaurants and manufacturers.

Comment

That looks fabulous... and a nice thick flat to be sure. I'll bet that helped to keep it juicy indeed. Did you completely remove the fat cap? Or is it on the underside in photo 2??

Comment

• mayapoppa
          mayapoppa commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't touch the cap... it was about the perfect thickness when I got it. And I love the cap... better than sauce! And yes, it is on the underside in the photo.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here