Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m looking for suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking for suggestions...

For what to cook on my new skewers for the PBJ. I’m thinking I could do kabobs with steak on one, potatoes on one, and veggies on another as they will take somewhat different times. Also thinking about whole chickens. What else have y’all done?

Shrimp work well on skewers. Here's a simple Asian sauce/marinade that works well on meat, fowl, shrimp, and veggies:

3 oz, (by volume), teriyaki sauce (use a thick sauce so it will adhere better)
    1 oz, (by volume), low sodium soy sauce
    1/2 tbs chili bean sauce. This amount is mildly spicy. Use more or less to suit your taste.

I marinate everything but shrimp because shrimp seem to absorb too much if marinated more than a few minutes. I just baste them before cooking.

Minimum time for marinade is ~ 30 minutes, and several hours won't hurt.
    Last edited by RonB; December 27, 2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

You're talking about the long skewers that hang and are t shaped?

I love those for chuckies and chunks of pork butt. Never have to worry about meat falling off a hook. Tacos al pastor are also good.

I;ve thought about doing whole chickens, but they already come out so well when I cut them in half and hang them, that I'm not messing with what works.

Comment

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, the 10” size for the PBJ. I Like the chucks and pork butt idea, too.

That is how we do kabobs, separate each to there own skewer but never in the PBC. I don't have them hangers. Be sure to let us know how this works for you.

Comment

Hanging cheesesteak!

Click image for larger version

Name:	64572623-2A23-4DD3-B6C6-9EE75F636A07.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	964258

Name:	3FC73960-4E29-4579-B0F8-FB1A9FC59A45.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	964259

Name:	AF65822F-E08B-4DCB-A191-6650FF62603C.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	964260

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Soonerpop cheese when assembling, I think I kinda followed this guy:

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes please!

• Soonerpop
          Soonerpop commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah,yeah, that’s the video PBC had on their site for a while! Thanks for the link.

Like the looks of hanged steaks.

Comment

Tacos al pastor.

(Like the hanging cheesesteak, it is just a really wide kebab!)

Comment

• Soonerpop
            Soonerpop commented
            Editing a comment
            Saw the video done by a "third party" on the PBC website when they first started. Looked really good and easy. I’m going to try it.

Weekend Warrior BBQ did a pork tower video in the vertical pellet at 275. I have some skewers coming for the pit barrel, and I was thinking about something like that.

Comment

Welp, I did it. Marinated the meat overnight, put it on 2 of the small skewers with fresh pineapple, smoked on the PBJ to temp. I have to say, it was bad, probably the worst thing I’ve ever done. Threw it away which was a first. I don’t know what happened, bad pork, bad marinade, etc., but I guess I’ll have to get back on the horse and try to ride it again once the bad taste is gone.

Comment

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              bummer, but it happens.

• kill2grill
              kill2grill commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh no! Well if you are a glutton for punishment - try it again. Only this time try it two ways to see which you like more. Cut your pork into pieces and half of it marinate for just a few hours rather than overnight and the other half of the meat dust with a dry rub. Cook on separate skewers.

TBH I don't mess with marinades all that much anymore. Mainly due to having a few mess with the texture of the meat and on quite a few marinades there is little payoff for that many ingredients.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here