Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here do anything like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here do anything like this?

I thought this was a novel idea. http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2244.0
    Anyone here hanging baskets or kabob skewers etc in their PBC?

That's neat. I've hung sausage baskets, after fzxdoc brought that to light.

Comment

I hang sausage baskets all the time. For me, it's the only way to get 18 sausages cooking at the same time that I've also got 3 chickens going in the PBC.

I had the handles sawed down so they would hang in the PBC. I used to slip the loops onto the rebars, but now I just hang them from hooks, which makes it easier to check the temp on the most hangy-down sausage, the one closest to the fire.

Before: Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage Basket 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	96148

After:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage Basket modified 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	96149

Kathryn

Comment

Looks awesome, fzxdoc Do you have any finished pics from after you took them off? Great idea. Don't you just love all these idea we have. Where else would you find this ingenuity in the kitchen? (or garage, backyard, etc)

Comment

Here are the finished pics of that same cook, Spinaker Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage Basket modified 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	96213

I take my sausages up to 185 deg F internal, which is way higher than Meathead's Temp Chart recommends, but I like the crunch of the skin. Also, I often pop them under the broiler for a couple of minutes after I take them out of the holder if I want them a bit more browned or to get rid of the "tan lines".

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; July 12, 2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow!!! Just what i was looking for!! Those look amazing. I am going to have to try this!!! Thanks for the idea Kathryn!! fzxdoc

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            lol tan lines...

This is great. I am going to try this!

Comment

Go for it, Spinaker and Tim E ! You won't regret it!

K.

Comment

That is a lot of meat. I have skewers that look like this, I hang them on rebar and then insert, you could probably do 20 at a time. I hang meat on the top so everything below is basted, a chunk of onion is put on the end an I haven't lost any bites yet.

Comment

_John_ , I haven't done kebabs yet on the PBC. I've got skewers similar to yours except they're flat, but they still have the eyelets at the end.

I like to do all veggie kebabs and all meat kebabs (meat kept separate from veggies). I find I have better luck getting the meat to the proper doneness that way, especially for chicken kebabs, where I'm much more careful to get to proper internal temps than I am for beef. That said, I like your idea of auto-basting the veggies with the meat juices as the kebab combo cooks.

Kathryn

Comment

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah the doneness is the tough part, can't exactly probe 60 chunks of chicken

No need for gadgets, just a few shots of whiskey, turkey legs and kitchen twine.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can I just have the whiskey and not smoke the turkey legs?

Kathryn

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm yet to figure out how to cook outdoor without alcohol. So short answer is NO!!

How long did turkey legs take in the PBC? I plan on tying them like my picture. Thank you!
                Attached Files

Comment

I like the tieing and hang over the rebar. People will love to see this in action!

Comment

• RichRybak
                    RichRybak commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I plan on doing this for Turkey Day!

But how long time wise?

Comment

My guess would be an hour at 350* might even be 45 minutes @ 350*

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here