Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No crutch brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No crutch brisket

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a brisket without a crutch on the pbc. I'm gonna be cooking a brisket this upcoming weekend and don't feel like using the big offset, but last time I cooked one on the pbc and followed the normal directions, it was a little too "pot roasty" for me. I prefer my brisket, though tender, to still have a little bite to it, not just complete mush, with a very strong smoky and crispy bark. I usually cook em naked on the offset then wrap around 200 or so to hold in a cooler. No juice or anything added, and usually perfect brisket. Can this be done on the pbc? Thanks

Also, and I know it varies brisket to brisket, but roughly how much time does it add on average for those of you who have done it? Thanks

Comment

If you can run 275 you should be able to get one done in about 10 hours or less. I have had some go all the way without getting wrapped, but that was part of a multiple brisket cook and the humidity was so high it delayed the bark formation so it was like they were really wrapped, if you know what I mean.

Edit- some folks go all the way on the grate, I like to hang 4-6 hours, depending on how much meat is in there. I'll have three briskets and a 6+ pound pork butt in that dude Thursday.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 6, 2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

10 hours, but you are probably gonna have a pretty dry flat if you don't wrap or inject. You didn't mention injection, but doing that will probably add to your pot roast problem.

Comment

Nice Jerod. Sounds like a good cook you got going on. John, are you saying if I don't wrap, then inject, or if I inject, don't wrap? I usually do inject, and I'm pretty sure I did on my first pbc brisket. It's always awesome on my big offset, but I never crutch on it. Guess I didn't think about the "double" juice jeopardy of an injection and a wrap. So the question is, is it better to inject and not crutch, or crutch but stick solely with a dry brine? Love the pbc btw. My favorite pork cooker. Just don't do tons of brisket to begin with and only used it once for that.

Comment

Stevehtn , wrapping at about 185 internal or so should set the bark nicely, at least that has worked with my briskets in my PBC. I have followed Jerod's ( Jerod Broussard 's) lead on that and am always glad I did. Not pot-roasty at all. I inject with Butcher's.

Kathryn

Comment

I've done a couple of brisket flats on the PBC, and always wrapped with a little bit of beef stock at around 160. Pulled and put into a cooler at around 203, in the cooler for at least an hour. The bark always survived well, and the meat was amazing... tender and juicy, but not mushy or crumbly. I stopped monitoring my temps on the PBC, but each cook took about 5 hours to 160, 2 hours to 203, and an hour (+/-) in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                Guest , wrapping at about 185 internal or so should set the bark nicely, at least that has worked with my briskets in my PBC. I have followed Jerod's ( Guest 's) lead on that and am always glad I did. Not pot-roasty at all. I inject with Butcher's.

Kathryn
                I was thinking something along those lines. Let it run through the stall then wrap the last 15-20 degrees. That or no wrap at all until rest time in the cooler, which is what I do on my big cooker. Do you add any liquid when you wrap at 185, or dry wrap? I was thinking of dry wrapping and let it braise in its own juices.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, Stevehtn , that's what I do. Dry wrap or wrap with no more than 1/4 cup of liquid, if it's been in a stall for a looooong time. I get good results with dry wrap, and that's why I prefer it.

I can't recall what Jerod does ( Jerod Broussard ) with respect to wet or dry wrap, but if you follow his lead, you'll never go wrong!

Kathryn

Cool deal. Thanks a lot

Comment

Alright y'all, trimmed and dry brined my brisket. Ended up with just over 12 pounds of whole packer after trimming. She's a beast. Going in the pbc in the morning for dinner tomorrow. Been barbecuing for most of my life, but I still get excited almost every time, especially dealing with meat I don't do a lot of.

Comment

Meat has been in the pbc little over an hour now and is already at 104. Man that thing cooks quick. I'm hoping it'll stall for awhile and give me a great bark

Comment

Be careful what you wish for, Stevehtn ! Seriously, though, have fun with today's cook.

What's your PBC temp running at?

Kathryn

Comment

It got to 150 quite quick, then it stalled a looooooong time. LOL. But I must say the bark was much better this time around, and the brisket was still very tender and juicy. Awesome smoke flavor. Thanks for the tips everybody. The pbc rocks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here